3DCoat Forums

Auto Scale without moving UV islands

Ferdinand

Hi, 

I've got a rather simple question. Is there any way to use the UV Room's Auto Scale command without triggering 3D Coat to automatically realign all UV islands as well?

The problem is, that I painstakingly arranged different 'sub-islands' in Cinema 4D, so that things are a little more organised once I start working on the global UV map in Photoshop. All I need, is to scale all these sub objects' UV maps to the same size. Clicking on the Auto Scale button makes this simple, however, it instantly messes up my initial layout, by rearranging everything as it sees fit, meaning I have to recreate my layout from scratch.

If you could Auto Scale without any realignment taking place - let's call it "Auto Scale In Place" - there might be overlapping islands, but I could quite easily move things around, keeping my initial layout. There would still be work to do of course and it would be fiddly, but it would definitely be quicker, than having to create the entire layout from scratch. 

So is there a way to achieve this in 3D Coat? I haven't been able to find it. Or would this be a feature request for a future update? 

Thanks for letting me know!

• Like 1

Well, I believe AutoScale is also scaling the UVs at different scales, which could easily make it difficult for textures to be properly aligned.  Why can't you just scale them all at once?  Use the Rect Select tool and grab all your UVs over in the UV Preview Window and just uniform scale them up.

Lemme know if that's what you intended.  If not, maybe I can figure something else out.

Hey Joshula,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, my tests so far show, that AutoScale does scale each island proportionally - or at least it tries - since my UV grid texture seems evenly distributed across the entire mesh. So scaling things individually wouldn't quite do the job. 

Would be great to hear about any other ideas you've got though.

Best, Phil

What I mentioned would scale all the islands at once, not individually.   It sounds like you want to scale all the UV islands from each individual UV island's center point, because you left too much padding between the islands.  But, I think you're going to have to just scale all the UVs at once, then adjust the spacing manually.  You might be able to do what you want with other 3d software, but I don't think you can do it in 3d Coat.   

Anyway, that's all I got, so hopefully someone else chimes in.  Good luck!

Hey Joshula,

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. To scale - i.e. equalize - all islands from their individual centers. If 3D Coat can't do that yet, it would be a great feature for future releases.

Hopefully this shouldn't be too complex to implement, as all that'd be needed would be to cut out the packing algorithm at the end.

Anyway, thanks for your help!