3DCoat Forums

Scene scale on painting

dimitribastos

• Advanced Member

Hi there.
I am under the impression that my smart materials does not work as it should due to my scene scale when imported my mesh on PPP workflow.
is there any way to change this in 3D-Coat or do I need to change this manually where I modelled?

Thanks!

I would either copy your project file or not save after doing this so you can test it out.  But, go to the Sculpt room and then go to Geometry then Edit Scene Scale.  It has an effect on the rooms, but testing it out right now it was a little weird for me.  If you get it figured out or it works well, be sure to post a reply with what you did.

Okay, some more info.  After you go to Sculpt Room to change the scene scale. You need to go to the UV room to "Apply UV Set", because that also seems to mess up the UVs.  Then, when you go to the paint room, it'll ask you if you want to apply the new UV set (because if you have anything painted on it, apply the new UV set will mess everything up).

Alternatively, have you played around with Overall Cavity Modulator in the Smart Material Editor?  Right click a smart material, then go to Smart Material Editor, then near the top is Overall Cavity Modulator.  That can sometimes help if the scale is not too far off.

Edited by Count Joshula

That seems pretty big.  You could always adjust the scale of the model in another 3d program.  Or, go to the Sculpt Room, then Geometry menu then Edit Scene Scale. Then go to the UV room to Apply the UV set.  Then back to the Paint Room.   

When dealing with the Overall Cavity Modulator, keep in mind you can do values like 0.01 or 30.   Also, when select a Smart Material, you can click and drag the Magnify Glass in the preview options to adjust the size of the textures, but this won't affect the conditional properties since that is dependent on curvature and I think AO as well.

• Advanced Member

What is strange is that I modelled using some "real world" dimensions. Not like its big on the original program, due the fact that everything there looks absolutely normal.

I import the geometry to the sculpt room and it seems actually pretty small there. I have to zoom a lot on the viewport to see anything.

Ya, so the scene is very large.  It's like if you were to stand at the top row of a football stadium to view a coffee cup in the center of the field.  It's a terrible way to view a coffee cup, but the coffee cup is still to scale.  So, for some reason when you import an object, 3d Coat is making the scene really big, and that makes your object really small.  Why it does this I have no idea, but it does the same thing to me as well.  So, there is either a reason for this, or it's just another quirk of 3d coat (in which there are many).