3DCoat Forums

retopology missing model? help....

xelby2

I just bought 3D coat the other day so still learning the ins and outs (anyone got any good links to basic tutorials?) 

I am trying to retopo this character (not mine...uni student practice) and when I hit next it does nothing. All the videos on retopo I watch show it calculates the data but mines sits there doing nothing. I did notice however that the volume10 has disapeared? I've included pics. Any help would be great. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Hi, and welcome.

Retopology meshes/objects do not go into the VoxTree. They go into the Retopo Objects tab. You can see it in the Retopology room after you've run through the auto retopology wizard.

On a side note, why are you trying to auto retopologize that mesh? From your screenshots, the topology already looks great. What is your goal?

Hi Javis, my last screen shot was after I clicked next. 3D coat doesn't do anything. I've tried the tweak/uv/paint tabs (rooms?) and no new retopologied mesh. 

I am doing this for my uni class. We have to retopo for games and it's too high poly. I also have to rig it and just now it's not the best edge flow, especially at the face. I could do all this in Maya/zbrush but I bought 3D coat as I watched a few vids showing amazing retop (better than zremesher!) 

I'm so lost. 

Basically you're going through the autotopo and it's not calculating properly, so it doesn't output a mesh.  3d Coat isn't good at telling you that it failed.  But, that's what's happening.  Your mesh is probably too complicated for it.  I've been using 3d coat for awhile now, and I just don't think you're going to be able to do it the way you are trying.   If you want good retopology, you'll have to manually do it.   Not to mention, like Javis mentioned,  the topology already looks good and low poly.  

• Like 1

Ahh, I see. It's a strange programme to get used to and I didn't think my mesh was entirely complicated. Mostly all quads already. The main issue was the face and the manual retop tools are pretty quick it would seem. Just going through it manually and then going to export it. Thanks for the reply guys. Lastly if you know of any good sources for tuts on 3d coat, link me? I have a digital tutors account but there's not that much out there, 

1.JPG