3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Trouble exporting a diffuse map

Gwyvern

Heya all, I was attempting to export my diffuse (I guess its called Color/albedo around these parts) But the file I get isn't the same as what I see in the texture viewer.

Here's what my viewer shows me. 834a21148fd8402680acfce1d85b1d7c.png

And here's what I get from the export. c2d4eb8eddd54762b60c345d895374ad.png

The other maps exported fine, but in all my files I keep getting huge sections of streaks at the margins between faces, and would very much like that to not be a thing, as it's messy.

I'd also like to thank the 3D coat community for all their help so far in getting this project done. I am very impressed with this program and the helpfulness of this community, and Once I am able, I will definitely be making 3D coat a part of my regular workflow.

5 minutes ago, Count Joshula said:

The streaks between faces is padding, that should be okay.  If you are not using a PBR lighting system, then you should export "Diffuse" not "Albedo"

That doesn't appear to be an option, nor does it explain why the color map is mostly black when it shouldn't be.

05ce9618d050415aa9d53e35b889706a.png

21 hours ago, Count Joshula said:

Ya, that's not how I export.  I go to File > Export Object and Textures. So, go there and really examine all your options there and get familiar with it. 

Note:

1. You can uncheck Export Geometry if you don't want to export geometry.

2. You can save presets for your specific workflow.

Nevermind, I found it, though I'd still like the option to choose where it exports too.

My color/diffuse map is still exporting as mostly black though.

Edited by Gwyvern

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Windows -> Popup -> paint Objects

Windows -> Popup -> surface materials

Do you have only one or more ?

Only one. Of note, it only seems to happen with certain workflow presets on export. (I'm still experimenting with those.) For instance, it happens with the ArchDesign 3DS max preset, and the unity specular preset, but not the unity standard preset.

The presets are only going to change what textures are exported, not how they are exported.  So, 3ds Max vs Unity "color (albedo)" texture shouldn't be any different.

That being said, what you are experiencing does seem a little weird.  Would you mind uploading your project?  

Also, what will this be used for?  Unity?  Because I have a decent amount of experiencing exporting to Unity.  (Also C4D and Octane, but you didn't mention those at all)

Edited by Count Joshula

5 minutes ago, Count Joshula said:

The presets are only going to change what textures are exported, not how they are exported.  So, 3ds Max vs Unity "color (albedo)" texture shouldn't be any different.

That being said, what you are experiencing does seem a little weird.  Would you mind uploading your project?  

Also, what will this be used for?  Unity?  Because I have a decent amount of experiencing exporting to Unity.  (Also C4D and Octane, but you didn't mention those at all)

Here's the file, and this will be used in unity. I was planning on saving this headache for later, one step at a time right? But I did almost all the work using smart materials, and was going to look for a way to export them so that they don't loose too much of the material quality outside of PBR, as I'm not sure we'll be using it.

RhePaint2.3b

A couple more things.  Even though in my screenshot it says the preset is "Unity (Standard)" .  The preset isn't 3d coat's original preset, it's my own that I use for the standard shader.   

Also, when I export using 3d Coat's "Unity (Specular)" preset, I get the black diffuse texture like you do, but it's because the color is being stored in the "Specular Color" texture, and not the diffuse.  So, I think that something is similar is probably happening to you.  But, depending on your workflow it still renders in Unity fine with the black diffuse as long as color is being stored in the Specular. (see below)

However, when I export it with the exact settings Carlosan has in the screenshot above, the diffuse exports with the color, so I'm not entirely sure what would cause it to be different for you IF you followed his export settings exactly.

sword-texture-test-02.jpg

Edited by Count Joshula

Okay, I found out what is happening, which I didn't quite realize.  If you export using "Diffuse" for a texture,  the color will be darkened where ever there is Metalness painted.  You can see the image below for descriptions (Hovering over stuff in 3d Coat often gives you a description).  

What seems weird to me, is that changing the Texture Workflow doesn't seem to do anything for me.  "Color (albedo)" seems to get the color information despite being set to "gloss/specular" workflow.

Anyway, if you are using Metalness and your paint layer's Metal Opacity is above 0%, then Diffuse will be darkened.  So, you need to export "Color (albedo)" and not Diffuse.  If you are not using Metalness, or your Metal Opacity in your paint layers is set to 0%, then you can export with Diffuse and still receive color information.

If anyone wants to clarify or expand on this, please feel free to interject.  

workflows.jpg

• Like 1