3DCoat Forums

difficulty painting underside of mesh.

Beddall

Hey,

Pretty noob to 3d coat, so sorry if this is obvious.....

Painting the underside of the mesh is very difficult if you also need to see Normal map Info or just lighting in general. There doesn't seem to be a way to easily & quickly flip the model to allow easier access to the underside. The problem is that it's just too dark. 

I can use the flat shaded view.... but my painting needs to follow the normal info.  which isn't visible in flat shaded mode obviously. 

I can increase the overall light intensity but that just seems to blow out all the colours and makes them not representative of the final texture at all. 

I can go to the tweak room and rotate and then come back... but that's not really ideal at all. 

the ambient light setting seems to do nothing in this view. otherwise that would be a workaround of sorts., 

ideally there would be quick rotation tools in the paint room or a way to rotate the environment map on more than 1 axis.

Are there any work arounds that people use? 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

cheers

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

Is the contrast control something that has been added since 4.5?

I appear to be on 4.5 here and I'm not seeing that control.  (also you have an icon on the far right of that toolbar that I don't have)

by orthographic projection, do you mean ortho viewport with the numpad 5 key?

thanks again.

cheers

hey.... now I seem to have another, tho perhaps related problem. 

Since I upgraded, any mode other than Flat Lit will display pure black in the texture editor for the colour map. I can switch to normal map and that looks fine. also Flat Lit appears fine in the texture editor. In lit mode I can still Paint in the texture editor but i can't see what I'm painting as it's pure black. Not the whole window, just where the colour should be inside the UV Shells.

The 3d viewport displays correctly.

Is this something that's broken for everyone or just me? I have the very latest version 4.7.06

cheers

hmm i guess it could be, but mine seems to be affected by the roughness map. . the behaviour i'm seeing is as follows.

currently my roughness texture is pure white (100%) in the texture editor.

if i paint on the model using only roughness channel (100%)... then it alters the appearance of the material on the 3d model.

it also then displays the diffuse correctly in the texture editor, but only where i have painted.

the roughness texture doesn't change as it's still pure white. 

It's definitely broken in some way. 

-------------

I think something must have happened to the materials... because if i set them up to be identical in both 4.5 and 4.7 they look quite different.

Exactly same settings across the board, scene set up, lighting texture values...

here is a pic. 4.7 is on the left and 4.5 on the right.  

3dcoatShader.JPG

There was several upgrades to the shader system. The Smart Material options were context sensitive to the selected workflow.

* Could you share the model to take a look ?

Workflows

PBR Workflow

3D-Coat supports three different PBR workflows:

• Gloss/Color Specular
  • Gloss/Metalness
  • Roughness/Metalness

Texture maps corresponding to each of these workflows are saved upon export.