3DCoat Forums
calidos

export OBJ with simple texture map?

Hi friends,

I imported a scaned model (from photogrammetry), I painted it with several layers, and now I would like to export model to OBJ and a simple texture 8K resolution (JPEG or PNG...) to use in a scene for animation with Cinema 4D.

I tryied different option to export color textures and I have only a 256x256 pix PSD with all color layers but empty.

3D-Coat is so complex and with so so many options that do a simple task like this it's no easy for ocasional users like me.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, but I canot find a simple way to export a simple texture. In this video (12:40) I can see a simple way to export an OBJ with a simple JPEG color texture, but I canot find this on my last 3D-Coat version.

Can you send me the mesh by PM ?

If you model have UVset the procedure is as follow:

I did a simple model.

1. Photogrametry with Photoscan saved as OBJ with texture.
2.  I imported as mesh into 3D-Coat and added some color, and golden and silver texture. (see attached image)

3. I uploaded to Sketchfab (directly from 3DC) and the model, original texture and colors appears perfect, but no golden and silver ones.

Take a look: https://skfb.ly/WLsO

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for help!

Captura de pantalla 2016-11-27 a les 0.08.04.png

Polypainting allows painting on a model's surface without first assigning a texture map.

A texture map can be created at a later time, and the painted surface can be transferred to the map.

Simply create a unwrapping and transfer the surface painting to texture map.

I assume you're not painting on uvs but on vertex colors?
You have to convert it into a different format using for example MeshLab.
Afaik the exported obj doesn't save vertex colors in a proper way. The vertex colors of a mesh are saved as comments in the top lines of the obj file.
But MeshLab can interpret those into proper vertex colors and you can save a file format (like fbx) that properly stores them.