3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Auto UV-ing

Ashington

I'm having a bit of trouble getting UV's to blend at the edges. This is my best attempt - making a base mesh in C4D and auto-UV-ing in 3DCoat. 

I'd like some advice for making the edges blend better, or perhaps a video link. I'm on the lookout for manual UV-ing tutorials so any advice that points in that direction is appreciated.

Also, I'd like to understand why the material was blank when exported - ie: the textures didn't export with the OBJ. I had to export them separately and reconstruct the material from individual maps in C4D. 

pillarRockTest-1-bad-UVs.tif

more or less solved the Uv-ing part.

still trying to figure out why I can't bake normals and export, Part of the problem, as always, was 3DCoat. It wasn't allowing me to paint at all, or filling layers. Then magically when I restarted it, everything has appeared. Drives me mental when I'm trying to keep seven things in the air, learn, and debug at the same time. No doubt I'll figure this out in the end, eight hundred rambling tutorials where some guy draws seams for half and hour and does nothing else later. 

Just a little frustrated. 

Solved and solved:

The export problem was a matter of unticking "use export constructor". Which, for some reason, was necessary when exporting my previous rock, derived from a sculpt inside 3DCoat.

The look of the thing - no normals/depth was a case of flipping Y and Z on the map inside C4D.

The having to restart 3DCoat once I've been in the UV room is something I can live with. Having to redo all the textures after editing the UV's is a cautionary tale. I now know what it takes to get them good enough to paint on.

• Like 1