3DCoat Forums

3DCoat vs other software

S4G4N

Hi,
I am new here, I would like to make use of the current discount but just want to know some things first
I want to use 3DCoat fro texturing only at this stage, since I have the rest of my pipeline all in place.
I would like to have feedback from others here that have experience with 3DCoat and Substance Painter.
Can I have some reasons why I should get 3DCoat since I already have the substance tools
Cheers
Cobus

I use both and here are the Pros and cons of each in my opinion:

3D Coat

pros:

you can get PBR from painting directly on the high poly models without needing UVs which is really nice to see what things will look like quickly before baking and stuff like that.

it is really easy to customize and add to the smart materials and I find them friendlier to edit than the substance painter ones which sometimes need some digging into the materials to figure out what parts to change.

like Carlosan said hand painting is much better than in substance tools due to precise controls you may use when painting such as splines, text, text along splines and so forth. It is always annoying in substance painter when you need a precise shape and you need to create alphas to just for that. And if you would want small variations of that shape in various parts of the model you would have to create variations of the alpha too since the alpha transformation in substance is lacking.

has amazing UV unwrapping capabilities

for the price, you get much more than just a texturing program

has PTex if you need something like that.

cons:

the smart materials that come with the program is basically what you get, no centralized place for sharing user created smart materials

as far as I know you can't switch texture resolutions (without losing your work) like you can do in substance painter

masking capabilities not as complex as substance but splines can help some there

everything is in a single UV set

Substance Painter

pros:

masking features

easy to change texture resolution on the fly

multiple UV sets

substance share and substance source are great for getting a variety of materials and smart materials

got particle painting system which is helpful in several situations

cons:

cannot UV unwrap

not as good as 3D coat for hand painting in many situations

no text tool to use in texturing

cannot paint on non "UVed" mesh

______

I might have missed some stuff but at least for me these are the main pros and cons of each. Also some of the cons are things I know are being worked on at least from 3D coats side. I find that 3D coat most of the time get me to the look and feel I'm looking for pretty fast while I end up using substance more if I don't need much hand painting or if I need to use the particle system or more specific materials such as elm Japanese wood. Also the main reason I got the substance indie package was because it also includes Designer and B2M. B2M is very nice for creating materials from stuff you have sitting around without having to go to Photoshop and manually create all the separate textures.

Edited by piacenti

• Contributor

I use both of them. Mostly what piacenti says is true.

But at the end it depends always on you and your work, as carlosan says.

Anyway. Some infos for you about materials.

Nice place to look for material that are for free if you use Substance Tools

https://share.allegorithmic.com/

Or

If you have a Live Membership of the Substance Tools you could get more

https://source.allegorithmic.com/#/substances/home