3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Auto Retopo !

oppne

Hi guys! So i have some small issues, where ever i try to retopologize these meshes, some weird shit happends and it doesnt do it well!

So i have used it a bit, and it has worked fine for other less complex stuff. So i know i would get some work here, at some point i got it fine, non the less, alot of bad topology!

So, its probably just me doing something wrong!

I tried jucing up the different settings, and yeah, but the thing is this:

I took it into maya (3d model animation software) and seperated all meshes, removed them, closed holes and took it back, got then the result from the seconds picture! Which was better. 

15209124_10153891052587136_169571148_n.png

15209190_10153891047212136_806877962_n.png

15218361_10153891541167136_639636844_n.png

Screenshot_3.png

• Reputable Contributor

Best thing to do is to create a dummy duplicate > if the layer is not in Voxel mode swith to Voxel mode > SMOOTH ALL > Use the SPLIT tool to split the model up into logical parts. All to keep things more simplified. Auto-Retopo isn't designed to work on thin/single-sided objects or highly complex shapes.

Before you do that, you might try to try again and bump the estimated poly count up quite a bit.

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Best thing to do is to create a dummy duplicate > if the layer is not in Voxel mode swith to Voxel mode > SMOOTH ALL > Use the SPLIT tool to split the model up into logical parts. All to keep things more simplified. Auto-Retopo isn't designed to work on thin/single-sided objects or highly complex shapes.

Before you do that, you might try to try again and bump the estimated poly count up quite a bit.

Thank you so much!

I always give a respond to give other users the visibile style of the solution, and AbnRanger gave the perfect answer!

This is what i did:

I took the main tree root, and seperated it from the root split top. Same with all the branches from the root split top.

Then when i was gonna give the count of pollies, my math was like this:

Root main: 1/1 15000 polly

Root split top: 3/4 10000 polly

Branches varies by size, but the one on the picture got this 1/4 1000 pollys

Thanks for the answer, i hope this help others too!

Screenshot_1.png

• Reputable Contributor

Glad it worked for you. If you are going to apply UV's (Ptex is an option to skip the UV layout process), I would highly suggest using UV Path tool. It is perfect for Auto-Retopo generated meshes, because the geometry isn't always as clean as you like. It's very fast and very flexible to use.