3DCoat Forums

New to 3d coats

briant

Hi all. I'm new to 3D Coats and a user of Blender. I am using trial version of 3d coats and the export menus is disabled. What i want to know is, if i export and obj in 3d coats, can i edit it in blender. This may sound obvious, but i am unable to do this with a mudbox obj. It cant be edited in blender, yet all other obj files i've ever imported can be. I'm interested in purchasing 3d coats but need to know if it can do what i want first. Can anyone help?

1 hour ago, briant said:

Damn. I purchased the software with expectations of being able export and import into blender and be able to edit. I can import to blender but cant edit, sculpt or anything. So not happy!

Sorry i jumped the gun. Can now export and import to blender and edit. Took a lot of trial and error but working.

I am having trouble with retopology which is one of the main reasons for purchasing the software. Once i have a model imported, i cant seem to get the topology to show on the model.  Can anyone offer a method for this. I've viewed all the videos but there is something missing.

• Advanced Member

ill guess your using the blender app-link (simple 3dcoat)  and on the blender side in the app-link the drop down list to export out which have you chosen ?  Note if it is Per-Pixel Painting you will not see it in the Retopo room!   you can choose( Mesh as Voxel Object )  then when 3dc opens in Sculpt room click  on  / check  IMPORT w/o  Voxelization .  you can try clicking on Auto Scale    then click APPLY .    just click on a tool on side bar smooth.   now your object is in as it was in blender  Next click on RETOPO   and your set to start retopo.  #2 IF not using app-link  save you model as OBJ. file  then   open 3dc  go to sculpt room  on the right you will see Import > find your saved OBJ > same as above when bringing in.  also  which Version are you using 4.7.07 ?   fyi there are a few different ways to bring your model over/in depending on what you want to do in 3dcoat.