3DCoat Forums

edit individual UVs in Retopo room?

Beddall

Hey,

Is it possible to edit individual UV's in the retopo room?

I'm getting areas in concave shapes where the Unwrapper simply refuses to not have overlapping UV's.

I've tried all the different unwrap methods.. but still overlapping. 

cheers

Edited by Beddall
spelling

33 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Select the UVisland in retopoview.

Hey, I realise you can move the whole UV shell. but I need to be able to move individual UV's to untangle them,

here is a pic. ..    https://gyazo.com/5f8cc14f3df9cfba61d736520e843641

as you can see the UV's in these areas get all overlapped and tangled. Texture distortion at this location isn't going to be a problem... but baking artifacts from overlapping UV's will be.  Do I need to edit these in an external app such as Maya?

cheers

Hey,

In this instance no amount of cutting helped. infact, if i add more seams then they overlap even more as there is no tension between the concave faces. 

It's quite quick to edit it in Maya, it's just annoying haveing to export it just to move a few UV's then import it back to 3dcoat. ... if only i could just move a single UV it would be perfect. 

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and trying to help. I really appreciate it.

I am aware that you can move individual UV islands /shells. ...    what I'm asking is if there is a way to edit the individual UV points.  the same way as you would in Maya, or any other 3D app. so that I can unwrap the problem areas manually. It seems that 3D coat only allows automatic unwrap, which in this case does not get rid of the overlapping UV's.

I realise I could cut those sections out so that the auto-unwrap would have an easier time unwrapping them. but then I have more seams / UV shells than I would like.   If this asset was only ever going to be edited by me then it wouldn't be a problem. but if anyone needs to edit the texture after I have authored it, they will be doing so in Photoshop.... so keeping seams / shells to a minimum is important. 

Hope that makes it more clear as to what I am asking.... to move a single UV point manually. that is all I would like. 

YES! FANTASTIC!...   you're amazing!

works perfectly :)

I think the thing that was causing me trouble was that I was trying to use the 'select' tool in the geometry section....  can't believe it was so simple in the end. 

In case anyone else comes across this, the answer is to be in the 'Mark Seams' or 'Edge Loops' tools in the UV tool section of the retopo room. setting the selection filter in the top bar to 'tweak' allows you to very quickly edit UV's individually in the UV preview window  

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...