3DCoat Forums

Workflow Question: Maya -> 3dcoat -> Game Engine

3djacket

The workflow I want is: I have low poly meshes w/ UVs laid out in Maya, import that mesh into 3dcoat, sculpt and paint it, and then export it into Unreal.

What I have been doing is: exporting as obj from Maya, importing "Mesh for voxelization" then sculpting, at this point, I'd like to get a normal map and move to the painting stage, but it seems I have to do a bake in the re-topo, which isn't working now, I assume because I haven't retopologized, and I don't want to, I want to use my existing low poly mesh. 

So, my core question is - what's the best way to get a normal map from a pre-existing obj, and a sculpt in 3dcoat as the high poly? I assume there must be a way, but it's not obvious to me after playing around and watching a bunch of videos on the program.

The final step would be to get this set up in the paint room, but I assume once I have the normal map, this will be easy to do.

Thanks!!

And while the above may not be the ideal workflow, the meshes and Uvs in Maya are already finished, so I don't want to start again, but I am interested in what the best way of doing this is.

Hi!

SO what you want to do, is to import your low poly mesh into the Retopo Room, Retopo Objects are basically "baking"/target meshes, as you would find in other applications. Once your sculpture is complete, keep the parts you want to bake on the high poly mesh visible in the VoxTree, go to the Retopo Room, go to Retopo>Import, locate your mesh, and then bake it from Bake>Bake to Normal (or something like that, don't have 3DC in front of me right now). It will then create a Paint Object in the Paint Room that will have the baked details from your high poly Sculpt Object to a normal map, with the UVs your low poly Paint Object has.

Let me know if you need more info that that. I think that should get you where you want to go though. :)

• Like 2