3DCoat Forums

Weird texturing problem on multiple objects

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I'm working on a robot which I modeled in Groboto and Hexagon. The head is composed of several smaller objects (head, nose, ear, eyes, antenna, etc) which can all be imported as separate objects in Wings3D, Hexagon, Silo, Vue Complete or 3D Coat.

So far I've uv mapped & painted the head, nose and ear as separate objects  3DC. UV Mapping in 3DC is a very enjoyable endeavor. In the paint room I also created some details with normal maps.

Here's the head

Head.jpg

• Advanced Member

Now when I have the head only open in the paint room and then bring in the ear via  " import object " the textures for the ear are applied to the face and the ears have no textures.

I had a similar issue when I had the head open and brought in the nose but I was able to resolve this by merging the HEAD.MTL and NOSE.MTL file via notepad into a new file named Head_Nose.MTL and naming the new OBJ Head_Nose.OBJ.

I found it a little tedious but really not that difficult. I just don't wish to do this in the future as I tend to build my models in a very modular format in Hexagon/Wings3D/Silo3D.

In the past I would use DAZ3D Studio to assemble the separate objects into one model. And it worked fine. However since I'm now starting to use normal maps, I would prefer to assemble my models in 3DCoat. It's a more enjoyable app for that sort of thing over DAZ3D.

And in case anyone asks it doesn't matter in what order I open the separate objects...

Thanks

Ear.jpg

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

so what is the problem ?

Wow... You beat me before I could get to it... :-)

• Advanced Member

Now here is the same scene after the ear obj is imported. The ear texture gets applied to the head...

head-ear-mats.jpg

• Advanced Member

Wow...you blokes rock... I took Carlosan's advice and it seems fine... Again many thanks... Now off to do some more uving and texturing....

Again.... many thanks!!!!

Head-nose-ear.jpg

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Again, I can not thank Carlosan enough for his help. It's working perfectly.... 3DCoat is super easy with the assistance from the group here at this forum. Love everything about this app except retopologyzing... UV Mapping, texturing, bump/normal/displacement mapping has NEVER been so simple and straightforward...

RoboHead01.jpg

I'll be rendering the robot in Vue Complete 2016. May even try rigging via Fuse3D/Mixamo since it's free for a year or so with my Adobe CC subscription... Rigging in DAZ3D or Poser seems too complicated for me....

RoboHead02.jpg

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Not having much free time at home but I've been able to do 20minutes to 1 hour daily over the last two weeks. Here's a capture of my progress so far... Love 3DCoat, it's pure fun to use...

I'm texturing each part individually and assembling the robot part by part... 3DC sure makes this job a pleasure...

Not sure if I like the yellow on the shoulder "fins"...

RobotBody01.jpg

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 2