3DCoat Forums

3DC to Clarisse workflow tips needed

atnreg

Hi!

I now use Clarisse for rendering so there is no need to do retopo. I love the 3DC Voxel sculpting so I usually start many objects with that. But when I'm done with sculpting, I of course want to make textures.

Here the problems start as by my experience:

-I cannot go from Sculpt room to UV to Paint without the really painful (and with Clarisse totally unneeded) Retopo phase
-Retopo cannot load even a million poly object
-Paint room can handle up to a million poly object but often crashes at random, even with only 500Kpoly objects. There are progress bars in very rare places in 3DC so you cannot know if it is actually doing something or if it has crashed. This does not only apply to Paint room and with high poly objects, it can happen with any tool.
-AutoUV does bad results and manual UV with even a million poly object crashes 3DC almost surely

The only way to get the process done is:
-sculpt in 3DC
-export Object (with decimation if needed)
-import in ZBrush
-make UV (dynamesh, uv, divide, project details)
-use decimation master if needed to get it below million polys
-export
-3DC 'paint uvmapped mesh'
-paint textures (if 3DC does not crash)
-export object and textures
-import in Clarisse

OR if the object is less than million polys, I can export from Sculpt Room, then restart 3DC and use the 'uvmap mesh' but that sounds like I'm doing it wrong :o

Can it really be that I need 3rd party program for this? I have tried to find tutorials and searched this forum and internet without luck.
It seems that with 3DC the Retopo is the main thing, not sculpting and painting, please tell me it isn't so :)

Is there a way to make UV for proxy and the apply it to original? (it would be close to ZBrush way)?
Is there any way to get the object from Sculpt Room to (auto)UV to Paint Room without exporting and restarting 3DC?

That sounds so strange that I must have misunderstood something, please help, any ideas are welcome :)

Thank you very much!

Antti

Edited by atnreg

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

In surface model you can paint your mesh in paint room -polypaint equivalent-

I'll check that, using very high poly density in critical areas might work :)
But polypaint cannot do depth/metalness, only paint, right?

So I only sculpt in Sculpt Room, then switch to Surface and go to Paint Room and start painting? That would be great :)

I tried it and it works but indeed only for color. Is there any way to get the 3DC materials in use with polypaint? Like separate vertex map for color/glossiness etc.? :)

But that is the only way to avoid 3rd party software/restart?

Thanks for the tip!

Antti

Edited by atnreg