3DCoat Forums

How to update UVs of Retopo mesh?

Croze

Hi there,

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I have made sculpt. I have imported retopo mesh from maya that already contains UV maps. After looking at old ones, in 3D Coat I've decided to update the UVs. But it seems they dont get saved into retopo mesh. Mesh is made of several parts. Example with Old uv and showing objects/uvs:

So my workflow is:

I am with retopo mesh is in Retopo tab. I go into UV tab to adjust uvs. I adjust them and click Apply UVset button. 

So far everything is ok, no error messages. New uvs:

But if I click back to Retopo tab and check uvs of the mesh, they are old ones.. Nothing seems to be saved. Old uvs:

Am I missing something? How can I then update UVs of the imported retopo mesh in 3d Coat?

Thanks for any help, guys

New message, please delete an old one. This forum is WEIRD :)

Hi there,

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I have made sculpt. I have imported retopo mesh from maya that already contains UV maps. After looking at old ones, in 3D Coat I've decided to update the UVs. But it seems they dont get saved into retopo mesh. Mesh is made of several parts. Example with Old uv and showing objects/uvs.

So my workflow is:

I am with retopo mesh is in Retopo tab. I go into UV tab to adjust uvs. I adjust them and click Apply UVset button. 

So far everything is ok, no error messages.

But if I click back to Retopo tab and check uvs of the mesh, they are old ones.. Nothing seems to be saved.

Am I missing something? How can I then update UVs of the imported retopo mesh in 3d Coat?

Thanks for any help, guys

edit: I tryed to attach images but I cant get it done (getting error:There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200 )

I have updated to 4.7.11 OSX version and problem still persists (didnt allow me to update to latest 4.7.20, maybe that one is just for windows)

So I import mesh with UVs into 3D Coat for Retopo. I go to the UV tab and change UVs. I click on apply them. It saves them successfully. Everything works in Paint tab (new UVs are there). But in Retopo tab (UV Preview window) UVs dont get updated (stays old ones, that got imported with obj model). 

If I export retopo mesh, UVs are old (I check them in Maya). 

Obj model consists of several meshes (retopo objects). 

I wouldnt care too much about this as I can after sculpting and changing UVs for retopo mesh to paint texture. But if I need to adjust retopo mesh and then generate mesh for painting again, I have to redo UVs. Or maybe I am missing something and workflow has to be different?

We got a new release recently.\

osxicon.pngmacOS [4.7.21]:

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-CoatV4-7-21.dmg

Ensure to check "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > click the "lock" > select "App Store and identified developers" (when only "App Store" is selected error message is displayed "3D-Coat" can't be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store)

Retopo room is linked to sculpt room and is used for

- retopo external objects or

- to create retopo meshes for Sculpt objects before baking process.

UVroom is linked to Paint Room. Is used to change uvlayouts of object imported in Paint Room.

Retopo room and UVroom are not interconnected.

I have updated to 4.7.21. Problem is still there.

It seems that I think in the wrong way then. Though I would expect Uvs of retopo mesh, when I am adjusting Uvs in Uv tab to update. It is just too bothersome to be forced everytime I bake detail from sculpt to have to update Uvs again. Interesting thing though, that when I adjust UVs and hit "Apply UV-set", mesh in Paint room gets its wireframe updated with no problem, even baked texture updates to new Uvs :)

And yeah logic that Retopo is connected to sculpt and Uvs to Paint makes sence, but when I can see sculpt (with Show Voxels in Paint Room) in Paint  I kinda expect everything is interconnected as one model/sculpt/texture/whatever.

p.s. I wonder what this function, in Video (Common Workflows Pt1) you've posted, does for retopo(as it seems it is outdated version with much more options). Time is 6:26 -

After sculpt, use retopo room for baking process.

After baking, the retopo model can be painted in paint room and modified in UVroom

or

Import the model to paint room using import model for Paint Pixel painting.

Switch to UV room to perform any change

Apply the new UVset and back to Paint Room to continue painting.

-----------------------------------

Sculpt > Retopo > Bake > Paint > UVroom

At paint room if need any change in the UV layout switch to UVroom and back to Paint room.

Export

PPP.jpg

20 hours ago, Carlosan said:

After sculpt, use retopo room for baking process.

After baking, the retopo model can be painted in paint room and modified in UVroom

or

Import the model to paint room using import model for Paint Pixel painting.

Switch to UV room to perform any change

Apply the new UVset and back to Paint Room to continue painting.

-----------------------------------

Sculpt > Retopo > Bake > Paint > UVroom

At paint room if need any change in the UV layout switch to UVroom and back to Paint room.

Export

Thanks for explaining. But what would be your workflow, if you need small changes to the sculpt when already painting texture (for the sake of example, you need to move human's eyes more to the sides)? sclulpt is there > retopo was imported and is also there (because the same mesh was used for base of the sculpt) > sculpt was baken into retopo and paint mesh created