3DCoat Forums

best method for reopoligize spline chain

RobN

Hi. I am having a problem trying to use the autoretopo tool on a spline chain. I have 14 chains connected into one Voxel object. My first attempt using autoretopo only caused the tool not to create a mesh at all. The second and last try, caused the tool to create very little amount of geometry, and it was stretched to fit the entire chain. I am thinking that maybe this mesh is a little more complicated then 3d Coat can handle. Is there another method without having to do this manually?

Carloson,

This indeed got me started, but the required poly count was still too low. Even with setting the requirements of 50,000, still produced some mesh errors. It looks like I might have to bump it to 80,000. However, this is certainly way, way, too many polys for a game asset. I am looking to shoot for 1000 polygons, which I still think that is too high.

Are there any other settings that I can change? I really do not understand some of the settings, and the documentation is extremely terrible. In fact IMO, it is one of the worst ones I ever read.

Which decimate tool are you referring to? A 3rd party 3d app, like Blender or 3d Coat. If you mean 3d coat, then I noticed that this produces uneven tries, which makes it difficult for any 3rd party 3d app turn the tries into quads. I need quads because I need to UV unwrap the mesh and share its UV's with the rest of my mesh. So that means letting 3d coat to auto unwrap the mesh will only produce a bunch of single 3 sided polygons, which is not doable either. I know I could just collapse every other edge, but doing this would be a pain as well. However, I guess these are the only options left? Why does 3d coat need so many polygons?

I was talking about this tool -pic attached- but if you need quads forget it.

Instant Meshes is a free app that let to autoretopo geometry, may be that app let you get better results, i don't know.

Its a trial an error because crossing geometry is difficult to understand by the algorithm.

Hope this help

Decimate.jpg