3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Manipulating Stencil/SmartMaterial in Viewport using mouse, how to ?

SYN7AX3RR0R

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

I remember way back (at least some 3 years ago), I was able to manipulate (Move, Scale, Rotate) Stencils in the viewport (this was before the Smart Material).

About the time the full color Stencils got moved under the Smart Material, I was not able to set up Stencil+SmartMaterial manipulation in viewport with a Mouse+ModifierKeys.

I go to Camera  > CustomizeNavigation > and set desired mouse+key combo for Move,Scale,Rotate Smart Material, but it has no effect. I double checked that I don't have any conflicts.

As far as I remember this used to be the place to set it up. Am I doing something wrong or is this broken?

I really dislike having to use the transform gizmo for stencils.

If I use the top Bar - it's hard to move up (end of screen)

With the gizmo, it defaults to the center of Stencil/SmartMat also hard to grab it once you zoom in and center goes off screen.

Also manipulating the Stencil with hotkey mouse kombo the cursor is the pivot for the transforms, this makes it much easier to work with.

Any clarification/help is appreaciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

OMG! Thanks so much for bringing this up and showing the solution! It feels so awesome now, just as used to from other apps (Blender, Substance Painter).

The gizmo approach and the upper controls are nice in theory, but way too slow for actual frequent usage.

Maybe this should be the default setting in the preferences to not confuse and disappoint users coming from other software.

Edited by walter_sullivan
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Manipulating Stencil/SmartMaterial in Viewport using mouse, how to ?