3DCoat Forums

Autopo problem

Robert G

Hello all,

I am having this model as in the screenshot.

When using Autopo on the base model at the left , everything works perfectly.

But on the final model after doing a boolean, things get very distorted as you can see in the next two screenshots.

In this example I used the same settings on both of them as in the last image.

But yesterday I spend most of my time experimenting with many different setting, however I could not get it right.

Ofcourse I try to avoid doing manuall work here ;-) 

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Robert

SeaHorse1.JPG

SeaHorse2.JPG

SeaHorse3.JPGSeaHorseSettings.JPG

Edited by Robert G

• Reputable Contributor

You can see from this video that surface details that will be captured in the final export out of 3D Coat, via Normal or Displacement maps, are not necessary when retopologized...so it's best to use a simplified version for Auto Retopo. This makes it easier for the algorithm to give you the desired results. More complexity increases the chances of problems, so try to use the K.I.S.S method when using Auto Retopo.

In your case, if you need the details in the geometry of your exported mesh, use the simplified version for Auto-Retopo, and then hide the simplified voxel object > unhide the detailed voxel object > use the manual retopo tools to build/modify the geometry of the Auto-Retopologized result (mesh).

Thanks AbnRanger, I was afraid someone was going to say something along these lines ;-)

But I considered this as an alternative already.

I have my poly's perfectly lined up now, i will see which is faster; a retopo in 3Dcoat or otherwise extrude in Cinema 4D.

Many thank for thinking for me gents :-)

Regards, Robert

@AbnRanger ....Well I tried that, but i did  not see so much improvement,

But you inspired me to give it another go.

Actually exporting the simple mesh and bringing detail in C4D works quite well, but its good to experiment for future cases.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert G

@Setz 

Oh, that's something new for me, need to investigate but it sound delightful :-)

Of course I will also need a decent render.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert G

Gave it another try, suddenly I had a nearly perfect mesh.

It happened after I added new guides, maybe my previous guides where messing things up.

But then suddenly without any warning or possible reason, the same things started to happen.

Don't know if its 3Dcoat or me though.

In the mean time I tried indeed to export for 3D printing, it seems reasonable although I was trying to up the amount of vertexes without any luck.

At the moment 150649 seems to be the max I can get out of it even after upscaling the model.

Regards, Robert

• Like 1