3DCoat Forums

3D Print quality ?

Roy

Go to solution Solved by setz,

Installed 3D COAT two days ago. Drew this up in solidworks. Saved to STL. Opened in Voxel Sculpting. Did some work. Now how can I save it for best possible 3D Print. Printing with a Formlabs Form 2 SLA printer. If I can get printable quality I'll be sold.

snip3.PNG

• Like 1

Well, best quality depends mostly on the printer you are using and a material you are printing with. With 3dcoat you can go with detail like 0,001mm I believe (at least Zbrush allowed me to print thing in titan with such accuracy, and I believe 3d coat is capable of bringing even more detailed sculpts).

Edited by Typhonart

• Solution

I have exported very, very fine detail from 3DCoat sculpted files printed with the Form 1 printer. Even at the scale of your object (which appears to be about 5 inches tall) you should easily be able to export at a resolution far higher than the Form 1 will physically resolve. 

Try this: resample your voxel object up to about 8-10 million polygons.  Convert from voxel to surface mode. Decimate by 75%-85% to reduce file size without affecting resolution much.  Export as obj or stl without any reduction.  Reduction during export can reduce resolution in an undesirable way. This should give you a very highly resolved object for printing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good to have found this...

I tried this on a model I'm working on following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7Ee7NNy_U

But when I export it from the layers menu as an stl, it does not get recognized bij cinema 4d, while exporting without the decimate trick opens flawlessly in cinema.

I does however open in Meshmixer.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks, Robert

Edited by Robert G

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Robert G said:

Good to have found this...

I tried this on a model I'm working on following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7Ee7NNy_U

But when I export it from the layers menu as an stl, it does not get recognized bij cinema 4d, while exporting without the decimate trick opens flawlessly in cinema.

I does however open in Meshmixer.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks, Robert

In the Sculpt Workspace, make sure the layer is selected, then go to the GEOMETRY Menu > DECIMATE. Now, from the FILE Menu > Export Selected (choose STL as the file format).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...