3DCoat Forums

Export texture data loss/problem

Mid way through texturing, I decided to export my textures to see how it would look in marmoset. Upon export, and many alternative attempts to export later, it has become apparent that something wrong has happened. 

My model, which is comprised of 6 different meshes, is being hand painted (no pbr textures), and only has a few layers. When I try to export them however, all I get is a black texture with some squiggles. If anyone could help, that would be very nice. 

I am using version 4.7.06(DX64)(educational) on windows 10 

Link to the file on my drive since it is too large to post here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwWtNA0OwLazdThWcVkwWnhFR1E

Hi Sean! Welcome to the forum. :)

Please try the latest version of 3DC, 4.7.24. It can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_SttA137fidZmljODdfUm9qdHc

Chances are, the new build will work. The build you're using now has a few issues with Windows 10 (it's a bit of an older build at this point).

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Sean B said:

Thanks for the quick reply Javis. I downloaded and installed the new version, but to no avail. 

Upon export, I am still receiving the same black and gray texture as before.

How are you exporting... Without good workflow details from A to Z, answering your question is shooting in the dark... 

Can you upload somewhere and share the 3DC file for others to look at. You can share the file link in a private PM to me if you so desire.

Edited by digman

1 hour ago, digman said:

How are you exporting... Without good workflow details from A to Z, answering your question is shooting in the dark... 

Can you upload somewhere and share the 3DC file for others to look at. You can share the file link in a private PM to me if you so desire.

There's a link to the file in the first post. It's located on my google drive.

As for the workflow. 

- Sculpt high poly in zbrush.

- Decimate in zbrush then export as an .obj

- Retopo the decimated mesh in 3d-coat.

- Unwrap in 3d-coat.

- Export retopo mesh and bring it into 3ds max for retopo/unwrap optimization.

- Bring the .obj file(s) from 3ds max back into 3d-coat for painting.

- Export the textures from 3d-coat for use in marmoset/game engine.

Not really much to it.

I've tried exporting the textures from 3d-coat in every way I can think of. No luck.

I attached the file to this post.

Edited by Sean B
Missed info

• Reputable Contributor

Opps sorry, did not read the first post... you may delete the 3DC file in the last post to save your amount that you can upload here.

Are you creating UVs outside of the 0 and 1 uv space... tiling that is similar to Maya.  if you are upon import of the object select what is shown in the picture. 3DC does not support UVs outside the zero and one uv space but has developed a internal method that will work. Upon exporting choose tiling again and 3DC will put the Uvs back into the tile format.

if the above is not the case I could text here but then it is back and forth, Skype would be better to solve your problem if you so desire... There are questions on your Max to 3DC workflow... PM me if you want to use skype.

Capture16.PNG

Edited by digman

41 minutes ago, digman said:

Opps sorry, did not read the first post... you may delete the 3DC file in the last post to save your amount that you can upload here.

Are you creating UVs outside of the 0 and 1 uv space... tiling that is similar to Maya.  if you are upon import of the object select what is shown in the picture. 3DC does not support UVs outside the zero and one uv space but has developed a internal method that will work. upon exporting chose tiling again and 3DC will put the Uvs back into the tile format.

if the above is not the case I could text here but then it is back and forth, Skype would be better to solve your problem if you so desire... Their are questions on your Max to 3DC workflow... PM me if you want to use skype.

Capture16.PNG

So I didn't quite give that a shot yet, but an idea that popped into my head was... What if i deleted all of the meshes except for the body? Well I did just that, exported the color, reloaded the file, and did the same for the loincloth. I'm not sure why exporting just a single mesh's texture would change anything, but it seems to have worked..

d.jpgl.jpg

Edited by Sean B

• Reputable Contributor

Glad you got it working in a round about way... 

I sent you a pm with the model done another way. Hope you do not mind.

2 uv sets, one for the body and eyes, the other accessories.

A marmoset file as well.  

I baked the current textures using the texture baking tool from your 3DC file (no changes) to the fixed model with the 2 uvs sets.

Nothing fancy on the uv sets or materials, either in 3DC or Marmoset. Funny I am testing Marmoset atm, got about 25 days left on the trial.

You had unwelded vertices on the symmetry line both on the body and cloak.  Used 3DC for all the operations, setting up the uv sets, welding the vertices, baking the current textures using the texture baking tool, to those uv sets.etc...

I see you set this model up for animation... nice...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

I took a look at the files and they look a lot better. I do not mind at all, especially now that I know more than I did before. Maybe a day will pass when I can share this knowledge as well!

And unwelded vertices? I had no idea.. Thank you for catching that. 

I did my best to set him up for posing/animation, but he is/will be, my first character, so I still have a lot to learn and get better at. I also made a re-curve bow that I am completing separately so it will be nice to see them both together and completed. 

From now on I will need to remember to not split my unwrap into separate tiles if I plan on painting them in 3DC.

I appreciate your help digman. Thanks a lot.