3D Coat Forums
ThomasBrissot

Cut Off Shape Interface suggestion

Hello,

I have been playing with the cut off tool, which is super quick and efficient if you use custom shapes. I find that using custom shapes (via the "load shape" button in stroke mode) gives far better results that cutting of with a stencil of the same shap, the cut is sharper, less "aliased" and it's fun and quick to place it, rotate it etc.. But  reloading the shape each time is not a great workflow. 

Maybe Instead of having to open the stroke mode, click on load shape, select the shape or spline in a folder and then resizing, and then finally cutting through the volume with our custom shape, it would be great to add the custom shape once and for all maybe via a thumbnail in the stroke mode window, or in a library on the side (like the one with stencils) ? 

Hi !

This video covers the usage of Tool Presets and the Preset Panel in 3D Coat

Thanks for the video ! 

I actually had created a preset (and saved the presets file) but it didn't save the shape I loaded for the cut-off tool, so clicking the "cut off with a shape"  preset simply takes me to the cut off tool. (I have to load the shape again via load shape etc...)

Any thought on that ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? 

11 minutes ago, ThomasBrissot said:

Thanks for the video ! 

I actually had created a preset (and saved the presets file) but it didn't save the shape I loaded for the cut-off tool, so clicking the "cut off with a shape"  preset simply takes me to the cut off tool. (I have to load the shape again via load shape etc...)

Any thought on that ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? 

I do not think you can save a shape preset in the regular preset panel... Under the "what to store" there is no "saving Shape" 

Your suggestion would make a good feature request.  We have thumbnails of models, strips, splines and brush alphas for choosing.  Adding a Shape section would be good.

Edited by digman