3DCoat Forums

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Working a traditional styled hot rod coupe based upon this photo I took at the Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza in Moncton New Brunswick, Canada. But instead of using a 1930s Ford car cab I opted to use a late 1940s pickup truck cab.

p3313116844-5[1].jpg

1934 Ford pickup hot rod cruising on Mountain Rd EDIT 2019 {2014}=KRM02.jpg

• Advanced Member

Everything in the images below were done 100% in 3DC's voxel scuplt room.

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

A door to a castle tower or dungeon prison.

Door01.JPG

Render01.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Traditional style hot rod tire & rim via 1950s / 1960s. The kind that appeared in Hot Rod Magazine & Car Craft when I was a youth cluttering Mom's kitchen table with glue, Testors paints and 1/24th & 1/25th scale car model kits by Monogram, Revell, Johan , Aurora and AMT.

TireO1.JPG

Render01.png

Render02.png

Render03.png

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

A customized "led sled"  pickup truck based on a 1950s Chevy pickup Sketchup model from 3D Warehouse which I remeshed in Blender 2.83 (actually BforArtist fork) with the Quad Remesher plugin and customized a bit in Hexagon 3D & BforArtist. Too comfortable in Hexagon 3D & Silo3D to totally jump to Blender. Also looking into the free version of Houdini.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

After this morning's yard work (tearing up dead bushes, raking leaves), visiting my Mother's gravsite and going to the grocery store I was too tired to actually replace the fuel lines on my own antique car. A 1960 Corvette which I restored in 1983 and still own. I decided to kill my afternoon with 3DCoat. Using beta 4.9.44 I thought I would like to model a V8 engine completely in the voxel room. I used no reference images. It is completely from my mind. And influenced by the 1960s Chrysler Hemi and the the Ford Boss 429 of the late 1960s & early 1970s.

The previously V8 engine I modeled was doing completely in Hexagon3D. And I used a 1/6 diecast scale model of a 1930s to early 1950s Ford flathead V8 as reference which is sets on a shelf in my computer room among near 80 other diecast models of cars (mostly vintage) of varying scales from 1/24, - 1/8th & 1/6th.

I need to add some more details like a fan belt, alternator, starter, spark plug wires & oil filter. This was created in about two hours. Which is about 1/10 the time it took me to model in the Ford flathead V8 in Hexagon3D. But to be honest the Hexagon3D model has a lot more detail.

Engine01.JPG

Engine02.JPG

Engine03.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

For comparison here is the Ford engine I did about 5 or 6 years ago in Hexagon3D. Quite pleased in the amount of time it took to model engine in 3DC considering I am only a 3DC hack and not near the skill level of most who post their work on this outstanding forum.. However I dislike the thought of having to retopo it. Retopo is a BIG PAIN in the BUTT IMHO... ;)

Flathead01.jpg

Flathead02.jpg

Flathead03.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

PS: Any tips or suggestion on how I would model a pulley belt for the 3DC engine?

Cheers & please stay healthy & safe.

Kenmo

• Advanced Member

Hi Kenmo, nice work on the engines.Not seen Hexagon for while I remember buying it for $1.99! Ha Ha 

Does the belt have teeth? If so I think my first port of call would be the spline tool, using it with the new curves system gives you more control than with the "red ball" curves system. 

If it is just a flat belt I would make a "slab" of stuff usint the cube primitive  then just use the cut of tool and cut out the profile from the front view in orthographic  mode.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 5/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, stusutcliffe said:

Hi Kenmo, nice work on the engines.Not seen Hexagon for while I remember buying it for $1.99! Ha Ha 

Does the belt have teeth? If so I think my first port of call would be the spline tool, using it with the new curves system gives you more control than with the "red ball" curves system. 

If it is just a flat belt I would make a "slab" of stuff usint the cube primitive  then just use the cut of tool and cut out the profile from the front view in orthographic  mode.

A real world one would probably have teeth but I will most likely model it as a flat belt. Cheers.

• Advanced Member

I can not seem to find this new spline tool. I only see the red ball spline tool. I'm using 4.9.44.

• Advanced Member

Hi Kenmo,

Here is a couple of pics, if you can decipher them. You need to have curves activated in the  preferences . The good thing about thes curves over the 'red ball' curves is that you can use besier handles or whatever the correct term is, for better control. 

splines 001.JPG

splines 002.JPG

splines 003.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Wow...thank you ever so much for the reply & tips. So much appreciated...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I think I must have attention deficit disorder. I start working on a 3D model, 3D scene or a 2D painting and I take it so far. Then a new idea pops into my head that I have to immediately start on, abandoning the project. And most times completely forgetting. I think with all the 3D & 2D graphic apps, 7 DSLR cameras and a real life 1960 Corvette, I simply have too many hobbies and distractions. And now that I'm retired too much time on my hands.

Here's a couple of car bodies I started to work on recently. But abandoned. I hope to revisit them soon.

As you can tell, I am obsessed with hot rods and cars of the 1930s to the 1970s. I have a large collection of car & hot rod books/magazines, die cast cars & quite a few unopened plastic car model kits. 

Nuclear01.JPG

Nuclear02.JPG

Nuclear03.JPG

HotRodSedan01.JPG

HotRodSedan02.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Another model I've been working on & off for a couple of weeks. Needs to be finished but I flip flop between models in 3DC and my photo editing in Lightroom & Photoshop.

It's supposed to be a steam plant  mechanical room of some sort. Idea came from within my mind.... Still working in voxels  in the scuplt room...

SteamPlant01=KRM.jpg

SteamPlant02=KRM.jpg

SteamPlant03=KRM.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I added a touch of Photoshop chicanery trying to give it a bit more of an old illustrative look....

I do like photo realistic renders/ However I also enjoy the hand drawn illustrative look as well as the paintery feel.

Would be cool if 3DC could do NPR type renders like Vue, Poser Pro 11.3 or Blender can. Vue NPR lack options and I find Poser Pro 11.3 a big pain in the butt and prefer DAZ Studio over Poser.

PS-Filters.jpg

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Christmas Eve Night in Peggy's Cove

A snowman and Christmas tree near the Lighthouse are ready for Christmas morning in Peggys' Cove, Nova Scotia.

A digital illustration I created for Christmas 2020 using Blender 2.92 (model the lighthouse), 3D Coat 4.9 (texture lighthouse), snowman, Christmas tree, fishing boat & houses are 3D props. Rendered in Vue Creator 1.5 with postwork using Photoshop 2021 CC & Topaz Studio 2.

Vue033-Christmas Eve Night Peggys Cove {2019}=KRM02.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Merry Christmas and all the Best in 2021

Stay safe everyone...

Another Vue render I did for Christmas 2020.

Vue034 Christmas Eve Visitors at the Old Church {2020}=KRM02.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Most of my digital illustrations use 3D models as a base which are sometimes rendered in Vue or brought into either Photoshop 2021, Corel Painter or ArtRage and painted over to create a natural media look. Sometimes I will use all three.  In the above I took the base render from 3DCoat and brought into Photoshop to give it a pencil sketch look using Topaz Studio 2 plugin. Cheers & take care... Kenmo

Tower01-sketch.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

The Fearful Child

I created this image this image 100% digitally on my computer.

The Fearful Child - Dedicated to all those children who live their lives in constant fear neglected by society and for the most part must forge for themselves. Victims not of of their own doing, who's future is uncertain and perhaps even bleak.
Society is blind, they dwell among us.

Apps and hardware used :  Photoshop CC 2021, ArtRage 6 (a fantastic digital painting app) , Wacom stylus & tablet  and my homebuilt Windows 10 computer I assembled last year.

Artbreeder 06 The Fearful Child {2021}=KRM02.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks very much. I've not heard of these apps before other than Clip Studio Paint which I own as it came free with my Wacom tablet.  Will check them out. 

Cheers & again many thanks....

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

APE WITH THE GOLD HELMET

Frank Frazetta is one of my most favorite artists of all time. When I was a young lad of 19 I worked part time at the Sears warehouse on Mumford Road while attend Saint Mary's University. Now that I was earning my own money I could finally purchase my parents a real Christmas present with my hard earned pennies.

For Christmas I purchased them a print copy of Rembrandt's "Man With the Golden Helmet" from the Sears catalogue. Having an employee discount was also incentive. I've always loved this painting.

I often wondered whant the painting would have looked like if Frazetta painted it. Well here is my feeble attempt.

I'm certain Mr Frazetta would have done a much better job.

I created this all 100% digitally using Daz Studio 4.9 (3D Delight), Genesis 1 Gorilla, Photoshop CC 2021 & ArtRage 6.

Ape with Gold Helmet FINAL {2021}=KRM02.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Flying saucer influenced by the science fiction movies, tv shows  and comic books of the 1950s and 1960s I would watch and read as a youth.

UFO01.png

UFO02.png

UFO03.png

UFO04.png

• Like 1