3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3DCoat Autoretopology doesnt produce a mesh

ZephyrSouza

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Been trying all night to get this Autoretopo to work. Ive followed tutorials and Im doing nothing different. When the mesh finishes retpologizing I just get this. 

https://gyazo.com/8ceae1baacdac46f8104539bde0c6aad

No polygons or anything. Ive tried resizing, adjusting the base mesh, saving it in different names. OBJ or FBX nothing seems to work. I go through all the steps of assigning the flow of geometry and nothing happens. Anyone have any tips?

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

I haven't looked at your scene, but oftentimes users will try to generate a super low-poly mesh and auto-retopo can fail when you try to force it to create a mesh without enough polygons. It is NOT a "make cool, optimized game mesh" tool. The polygons are evenly distributed, and thus require a higher poly count than you might expect.

31 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I haven't looked at your scene, but oftentimes users will try to generate a super low-poly mesh and auto-retopo can fail when you try to force it to create a mesh without enough polygons. It is NOT a "make cool, optimized game mesh" tool. The polygons are evenly distributed, and thus require a higher poly count than you might expect.

I understand that but the mesh it generated wouldnt be useful in any case lol. What are some good settings you think?

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Generally but not all the time it is good to run autopo in voxel mode. Depends upon how clean the mesh is.

Surface Mode ( real polygons) If you have any self intersections or interior holes in the mesh this will cause autopo routine to fail, get poor results or not create anything. 

Voxel mode- If you have interiors voids, the same results listed above.

If you know your surface mode model is clean, then it is fine to run the autopo routine.

I generally run autopo in voxel mode as AbnRanger is doing in his video. You can smooth out the model as the fine details are not needed for autopo, in fact it works better. The panel also will decimate but starting with a smoother model does not hurt. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the part of how to remove voids in a voxel model. 

Right click on the model or the voxel layer where your model is located and choose " fill voids" If you see the routine filling holes then you know there were some... On the viewport screen your are informed by number of the voids that are being filled.

You can also run "fill invisible hulls" I only tend to run that if I still am having problems.

For this 3DC default model I used the settings shown. I did not paint density or use guide flow strokes. Settings are always depended upon the structure of the model. I did set the auto-density a little high but this is just to demostrate.

If you are in surface mode and even use the voxelize before quadrangulation, this will not fix interior voids.

In the retopo room before running autopo turn off virtual mirror mode under the retopo room as well.

voids.jpg

panel.JPG

done.JPG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

And if you did not catch my correction,  I meant to say turn off Virtual Symmetry before running the Autopo.  I also removed these words. "but when you bake to the paint room"  I did correct my original post. 

LOL, I even corrected one word here... Typing is ahead of my brain... :blink:

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 3DCoat Autoretopology doesnt produce a mesh