3DCoat Forums

RenderMan render

Zombie

• Reputable Contributor
18 hours ago, rochellej70 said:

Umm. Is there any documentation on how to install Renderman in 3D coat? Feels weird that's not the 1st thing you'd see after installing.

Install the normal Renderman engine from Pixar's website. 3D Coat will detect that it is installed and use it. No need to install something specifically for 3D Coat.

• Like 2

hi guys, long time no talk :)  i have 3DC 4.8 installed and renderman. I get nothing but a black screen in preview and final render window of Renderman. (it successfully installed) This happened to me with the previous (latest) version of 4.7.35 (i think)  also. 

I am running on win 10, using the 64 bit version, GE Force gtx 660 gpu and it is probably irrelevant, but 32 gigs of ram. And a lot of noobiness when it comes to renderman. I was just excited to see that as a rendering option and see if I could get it working, I could be missing something very obvious..... Thanks all

Thanks @preecher. Is there any online resources at all for how to use renderman with 3dc? I did get something working, I think it is because I had no lights in the scene, which I created using a sphere and the polymer material with emission on as per the screenshot on previous page on the thread. Plus I set a camera? Anyway, I got something working, but would dearly love to know how to set up a scene like the buggy with atmospherics (and awesomeness) like the 4.8 release video....

at @AbnRanger, @Michaelgdrs @carrots - you guys have always been super helpful, any pointers please ? Thanks guys 

• Contributor

I think Don (AbnRanger) did the buggy scene. Still experimenting myself with Renderman with 3DC , using it with Houdini sometimes but still experimenting with 3DC.

More or less what this thread is showing is what it can be done so far.

Insane response times as always @Michaelgdrs!! Cheers dude :) should I just be using maya learning resources for trying to understand how it works within 3dc? For example I tried volume shader but it just turns black and solid when I try to render it in render room with RM. 

appreciate your patience with me, I know this is really basic stuff for all you pros at rendering with RM ;). Oh, I don't have Houdini 

Edited by Jamie Norton
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Cheers Jamie , 

not going to help at this point (checking tutorials for other softs) as Renderman implementation for 3dc is not final , .

Getting issues as well with volume shader , in fact i am getting lots of issues the last couple days but i quess it my system being under hardware upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael, I don't know what I am doing at all with renderman so anything is super helpful :D (thankfully I know a little more about 3DC these days, thanks, in no small part to you guys and Jama J)

hardware upgrade sounds exciting ... ;) I just want a titan 1080, (or something remotely close, gpu is four years old) I don't ask for much... lol 

Edited by Jamie Norton

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Jamie Norton said:

Sorry for delay, thanks @bisenberger I will check what version I have installed :)

After you set Render Engine to RenderMan in 3D Coat Render room, use RenderPreview. It fires up the RenderMan viewer, It, so you can see the scene being rendered. I tried the FinalRender button, but you don't see the scene rendering, only the final image after it is done rendering. I also had problems with crashing using the FinalRender button.

• Like 2

Thanks mate, I do actually have RM Proserver-21.5 AND RM for Maya 21.5 (i must have wanted to have all bases covered. ;)
Was using render preview, too. I have a theory that putting a physical (voxel based) lit object in the scene, made it work? I am not sure. Haven't had heaps of time to play with it further yet, life got hectic.

Edited by Jamie Norton

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 6:49 PM, AbnRanger said:

Install the normal Renderman engine from Pixar's website. 3D Coat will detect that it is installed and use it. No need to install something specifically for 3D Coat.

Did that, got the Non-Com license and everything. Installed Renderman ProServer-21.7.

3D Coat does not detect Renderman. 

Restarted 3D Coat. Nothing. Restarted whole computer and 3D Coat. Nothing.

Any ideas, guys?

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, krynoid said:

Did that, got the Non-Com license and everything. Installed Renderman ProServer-21.7.

Any ideas, guys?

Do you have a firewall or anti-virus app blocking Renderman, by chance? You might add the Renderman.exe file to their Exception list. What version of 3D Coat are you using? It works, here, with 4.8.15

11 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Do you have a firewall or anti-virus app blocking Renderman, by chance? You might add the Renderman.exe file to their Exception list. What version of 3D Coat are you using? It works, here, with 4.8.15

I'm using 3D Coat 4.8.10. I don't think there are any firewall concerns because the Renderman website reports a successful installation. If anything were blocking then I probably wouldn't even be able to see the site.

Initially when it was installing it told me that since it didn't detect Maya that it would only install the ProServer component, but it had the option to manually choose to install the other components so I want back and did that thinking that maybe it didn't instal the parts that 3D Coat needed to detect the first time around. Tried it, same result when I hit the render preview:

"Error: Renderman not intalled. Please instal Renderman from http://www.renderman.pixar.com"

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, krynoid said:

I'm using 3D Coat 4.8.10. I don't think there are any firewall concerns because the Renderman website reports a successful installation. If anything were blocking then I probably wouldn't even be able to see the site.

Initially when it was installing it told me that since it didn't detect Maya that it would only install the ProServer component, but it had the option to manually choose to install the other components so I want back and did that thinking that maybe it didn't instal the parts that 3D Coat needed to detect the first time around. Tried it, same result when I hit the render preview:

"Error: Renderman not intalled. Please instal Renderman from http://www.renderman.pixar.com"

Try adding the Renderman executable file to your firewall and AV exception list and perhaps install the latest build of 3D Coat and see if that might help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 12:38 AM, krynoid said:

Any ideas, guys?

Tell me please which operating system are you using? Windows, Linux or MacOS?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...