3DCoat Forums

FBX Export Scale

Barliesque

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, first best even if you have given in another post the 3DC version you are using plus more detail workflow information. 

Case in point:

Is the model imported as a obj, lightwave model, etc...  or imported into the sculpt room and as the last post comments have you chosen to keep scale...

Are you importing straight to the paint room and then exporting

Are you baking from the retopo room to paint room and then exporting

Are you exporting an object just from the retopo room.

Imported a mesh as a reference object then created a polygon mesh on top it and exported that out of the retopo room.

Have you worked on a uv meshed object, updated the uv set and then exported the model from the paint room.

Did you export a model from the sculpt room, Voxel or surface mode.

Under the Texture menu in the paint room did you just export the uv set and model.

What are your export settings. Did you by accident change the export scale in the export settings.

In the above I am not trying to be hard on you but as you can see there are many ways to export out of 3DC.  3DC is a powerful and deep program. Any of these could have an FBX export problem or maybe just one or a simple new user error. A more detail workflow saves both me and you time... 

If possible can you share the original model file or a similar one that has a export scale problem. I would be happy to test it.  Upload here or send me a pm with the model file or a link to it.

files.JPG

Edited by digman

I imported the model as an .obj into the Paint room (--hence I didn't see "Geometry" in the main menu until switching to Sculpt--)

It already had UV maps, but I made some changes in the UV room, returned to the Paint room to paint and then export from there.  Everything about the exported FBX looks great, apart from the scale.

I'll PM you a link to the .obj and .3b

Okay, so I re-imported the .obj model, didn't see any option to keep scale but I did select "No Center Snap" which I may not have selected first time around.
I just exported it straight back out, and the scale is CORRECT!

So I must've done something to change it along the way.  I've settled on the OpenGL version, but I did go back and forth with the DX version as well.  Could that cause an issue?  The "No Center Snap" sounds like an offset option, and there's no issue with the exported position.

So, I guess now my question is how to *correct* the scale in the project?

Edited by Barliesque

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for sending me the files to test. I had the same scale problem as you did.  I will be testing more with my own files later to see if the problem happens to me as well. This was not a problem at one time as my FBX models were imported into Unreal correctly. I will test tomorrow.

Till then... Here is what you can do.

File menu--- export object and textures--- 

Deselect  "Use export constructor for per/channel packing. You manually select everything you need. The panel will change to what you see in the picture.

Choose your export preset.  I was testing in Blender so I choose Blender cycles.

Select the textures you want exported.

Apply Scale will appear when not using the export constructor.  Side note, Apply Scale needs to be under the export constructor as well.

Change the scale to 100. The value is not saved, so you have to input it each time.

Export the FBX.

I tested the FBX exported file and it had the same dimension as the original obj model in Blender.

export.JPG

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Eureka!!!  Thank you, you're a star! :D

Call me crazy, but it seems like "Apply Scale" should be visible whether or not "export constructor" is ticked...  Anyway, that's very much what I was looking for.

I've read about a lot of similar confusion occurring with FBX files in other applications.  As I understand it, there's a unit type parameter that decides whether vertex positions are expressed in centimeters or meters.  Maybe that's a setting that should be exposed in this dialog?

• Like 1

That has no effect on the export of my model -- presumably because this model was imported, not originated in 3D Coat.  (I look forward to getting into 3D Coat to model in the future! --so that setting should be helpful at that point.)

• Reputable Contributor

@Carlosan--- I had tested changing measurements in the Sculpt room though I did not post about it. It had no effect on exporting the FBX model from the paint room. The numerical number is the only one that had effect upon the export scale for the FBX model. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...