3DCoat Forums

UV Unwrapping Question

lewis2e

Hi

I am using 3D Coat to UV Unwrap models that I have created in Blender, and then paint on them. My question is, is there a way to exclude certain parts of the geometry from the UV Unwrap?

For example, at the moment, I am UV Unwrapping a car dashboard. The dashboard is a big smooth object, but also has lots of small disconnected pieces of geometry (e.g. the air conditioning vents, the speedometer etc.). 

If I simply use "Auto Seams" and then hit unwrap, there is a lot of "noise" in the unwrap because of these small bits of geometry. In reality, I don't care about unwrapping those small bits, I just want to unwrap the big smooth body of the dashboard.

In Blender (which obviously can UV Unwrap, but I much prefer how 3D Coat goes about it), you would select the geometry for the small bits and "weld" the UV coordinates to a single point. This leaves you with only the stuff you wanted to unwrap, and it can expand to fill the whole UV space nicely.

Does 3D Coat have anything similar?

Cheers for any advice.