3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Filling one piece of geo, not entire layer

davidirl

I have spent so far 8 hours today trying to figure out how to do this, by googling, watching videos and now posting on forums.

I cannot figure it out. Its such a simple problem, yet its impossible to find a simple solution.

Here is the deal, I have a simple character that has spheres for eyes and half spheres for eye lids.... I want to FILL THE EYES with one material and FILL THE EYELIDS with the other material.

But I cant figure out how to seperate out the geo onto seperate layers or simply click on a piece of GEO and have it fill JUST THAT SHELL, i dont want it to fill the ENTIRE THING... I just want to fill the eyes with WHITE and its Impossible.

Its 100% impossible for me to figure out how to paint the part of the eyes that are covered by the eye lid!! I have literally spent EIGHT HOURS trying to figure this out today, I have done NOTHING productive, not come ONE STEP CLOSER.

What am I missing? Help! Thanks! 

You can see in the attachment, I'm not trying to do rocket science here...

eyes.PNG

• Reputable Contributor

Can you share the model if possible for others to look at to figure out the problem. I can look at in the early evening my time about 9 hours from now...

It would be easier as your workflow is somewhat sketchy in details... Lots of possible answers...

Edited by digman

I figured it out! All I had to do was use the paint bucket tool and click on a mesh.

It was such an easy thing it was so hard to google how to fill the mesh because nobody thought to document it I guess cus they figured anybody would be able to figure it out lol 

• Like 1

This video begins the demonstration of the Fill tool in 3D Coat. It's so much more than just a Paint/Fill Bucket tool. It's a Gradient Fill, Freeze Fill, Fill with Smooth tool...and even a Noise Generator when used with Stencils or with the Modulation options.

Fill tool - 3DCoat manual

http://3dcoat.com/manual/paint/292-painttools/#-fill-tool

Fill Tool

Allows you to fill areas with a color, or a pattern. The areas can be entire Paint Layers, Surface Materials or Paint Objects. You can also use a color tolerance  to limit the fill area. Press ENTER or by clicking one of the respective area fills, to apply the fill. Let’s look at some of the other parameters.

• Fill w/ Freeze: Instead of filling with color, depth and spec, it will fill with the Freeze tool, and allowing large areas to be frozen. By using color tolerance with this function, you can also select areas that might be hard to hand paint.
  • Fill w/ Smooth: Instead of filling with color, depth and spec, it will smooth the bordering pixels of painted areas.
  • Gradient Mode: Allows you to paint with a graded fill. You can use Linear or Spherical gradients. When on, there are further options for this mode:
    • Gradient Pick Points: Select the start and end points of the gradient.
  • Use w/ Other Tools: Allows you to use the the Fill tool parameters with other tools, such as the Brush, Pencil and Airbrush tools. Very useful for painting noise and other similar effects.
  • Pattern Type: Specify an image or procedural algorithm to generate noise for patterns that will modulate the fill. Very good for filling areas quickly with patterns. Further options for Pattern Types are:
    • Pattern Depth/Pattern Color/Pattern Spec.: Toggles each mode on or off respectively.
    • Depth Amount: The amount of depth to fill with.
    • Extrusion: Additional extrusion, but does not respect the image or procedural chosen, rather it raises or lowers the entire filled area.
    • Color Preference: Bias from Convexity Color or to Concavity Color. Lower values are bias toward convex, higher values toward concave.
    • Convexity/Concavity Opacity: Adjusts the opacity of the color for the respective parameter.
    • Convexity/Concavity Color: Allows you to specify a color for the respective parameter.
    • Convexity/Concavity Spec.: Allows you to specify a  amount for the respective color.
    • Save/Load: Save and load presets for the Fill tool.

Magic Wand Magic Wand Tool

A hybrid tool, mixed between the Freeze and Fill tools. This is basically a Freeze Filling tool, that you can use color tolerance and control the amount of freezing with.