3DCoat Forums

FBX Export doesn't retain colors

ChiltonWebb

I noticed that if I take in a scanned object with "Repair Scanned Mesh", it retains all of the colors of the original. I assume these are vertex colors, but I don't know for sure. The original mesh in this case was exported from RealityCapture and DID have a UV map in the original. 

But when I finish my repairs and export it, there is no UV map, and no vertex colors at all. 

How do I repair the model AND retain at least the colors? They're still there, in the 3D Coat file. Just not in the exported FBX file. 

Thank you!

-Chilton

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 11.36.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 11.31.01 PM.png

• Reputable Contributor

First, your uv texture map is converted to vertex paint when importing. You will lose quality of the texture map as vertex painting quality is determine by the amount of vertices in the mesh. Unless your mesh is very high in polygon count there will be a loss of quality. Since you did not state the end result of your workflow I added the above information. 

The vertex colors are exported in the FBX file. Now in Blender cycles I delete the original fbx exported material and create a new material, then use the attribute node to hook in the vertex colors

It appears you are using Lightwave, no knowledge of that program. 

I normally use the Ply format for exporting vertex colors as it does not add all the extra information in the file as fbx does. Very simple to setup in Blender to get the vertex colors. I know lightwave supports the Ply format, hopefully supporting the vertex colors as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I do not know the end use of your model so putting the below just in case.

When repairing scan mesh data, my work flow is a little different. I just import the mesh as a voxel object making sure I get a high enough resolution to capture all the details, not worried about the textures or uv set atm. Voxel mode vs surface mode is generally better for repairing scan mesh data.

Repair the mesh.

Export that model and then import into Photoscan re-projecting the original image data captured when taking the photos. This way I have a cleaned repaired model and a high resolution texture. I would be surprised if RealityCapture did not have the a feature like re-projection.

If necessary you can decimate the model before exporting depending upon your needs. There are a few other workflows for scan mesh data but I am answering according to your question. 

Edit: decimating and exporting out of 3DC or you could decimate the model in your capture software as well.

Edited by digman
  • Like 3