3DCoat Forums

Running into issues in the Paint room cleaning up 3D scanned image

Gwan

Hi,

I've been using 3D coat for about a month now, i'm fairly new to 3D modelling in general so i hope i'm running into a newbie issue that can get answered easily. I'm at my wits end.

The context is that i'm trying to clean up a 3D model i scanned in. Here is my workflow that pretty much follows the YouTube series: 

• Import into the Paint room
  • Import mesh (obj file) into the Sculpt room as a surface object so that it keeps the texture
  • I clean up the model switching between surface and voxel objects
  • [Issue/Question 1] When i AUTOPO what layers should be visible in the Paint room? The initial layers that appeared on first import still contain all the bumps and edges that i cleaned up so when i AUTOPO for some reason it captures the old model. So i've turned off the original layer other than the UV layer because that keeps the texture... is that correct?
  • After i retopologize, mark out the new UV, unwrap the UVs i bake with Normal map
  • [Issue/Question 2] Here is when things start to fall apart
    • Firstly, I don't understand what all the layers are in the paint room (see screenshot). I'm guessing that some of them are from the original import so can i delete them? Also, what is the Volume4 layer?
    • Secondly, when i switch to a Flat Shader and hide the object in the VoxTree my model looks pixelated. It's only when i use a Smooth Shade it stops being pixelated
    • Thirdly, i can't seem to paint on either the model or the UV consistently. It's as if there is a layer on the model that is stop me from painting on the model or UV...

Like i said, i really hope i'm doing something stupid because i do enjoy using 3D coat but i can't seem to find any answers to these issues.

Thanks,

Gwan

Screenshot_1-low.jpg

Screenshot_2.-lowjpg.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Is it possible for you to share the scan mesh for others to test for a solution... upload the scan mesh to a server and then others can download to test. You can pm me if you want to share the mesh privately.

1 hour ago, digman said:

Is it possible for you to share the scan mesh for others to test for a solution... upload the scan mesh to a server and then others can download to test. You can pm me if you want to share the mesh privately.

Thanks for getting back to me, i'll DM you the link to the folder. If anyone else can help and want access to the files please message me and i'll DM you.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Is this video useful for you ?

Unfortunately not (i think), the issue i believe is related to the cleaned up model in the voxel room being retopologized and then baked using the cleaned up model... i think?!

On 4/12/2017 at 0:09 PM, digman said:

I think i figured out what the issue is, the surface materials and paint objects both had the previous layer visible.... so after i hid those layers it looks like it's working!

However, i'm now running into a separate issue with the stamp/clone tool in the Paint room. Every time i try to use it 3D Coat slows down/has to process the command so it's impossible to work with since it's so slow. Any tips or advice as to how to speed it up or close things down so i can use that tool?