3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I am looking for some help and advice on where to start to retopologize a model I have completed in 3D - Coat. I haven't tried Autopo just yet as I don't really fully understand the options and methods I should be using.

Here is my model:

B2N5k13.png

Any advice on where to start when retopologizing this model would be appreciated. I don't know if there is quicker ways to do this, the model isn't all that complex either.

I am hoping to get really clean topology for this model as it is going to be a previewer mesh for a game engine (as you might have guess from the logo in the middle of the model xD).

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

I would first try to auto-retopo every single part separately. One thing Auto Retopo is REALLY good at, is handling relatively simple shapes. It's when you start handing it complex shaped models, that it starts to break down.

Another option would be to use the Strokes tool for the spherical and cylindrical shaped parts, and you can knock out the base in a few minutes with the Points and faces tool. Just stick a point on every corner on that base > RMB click over each poly. I think you could handle it in 5min or less.

• Advanced Member

How can I connect my strokes together? 

I am hold control and click on the vertices and then moving to the next vert but nothing is welding together.

simmvQA.png 

I want to be able to connect all the vert's all the way to the back of the sphere to get a clean line. I used the sphere brush using the strokes tool to get this far :D

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack

• Advanced Member

How do I commit the symmetrical copy of my topology to the other side of my mesh?

8yV59nD.png

Right now when I turn off symmetry the other side is removed :(

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Another option would be to use the Strokes tool for the spherical and cylindrical shaped parts

I am really struggling with these shapes. The sphere shape isn't completely spherical because I've cut off part of it to make a portion of it flat.

quPWY7f.png

I'm drawing my strokes and choosing the number of segments, I'm changing my brush (in the E panel) to a circle and then dragging out strokes that way for close to accurate strokes with my chosen number of segments but then when I start drawing intersecting lines none of the actual segment points "stick" or "weld" together, I am then hitting Enter and 3D - Coat is just crashing on me, I think it might be because I have drawn too many strokes, I just don't know how to start this haha. I've been trying for a few hours but not really getting anywhere, I want accurate and clean topology and this is why I am using strokes with the circle stroke because points and faces seems a little messy, unless there are methods to cleaning that up?

Thanks! 

Virtual Mirror Mode

When you turned off, it allows you to create actual geometry when Symmetry is turned on. When this is turned on, virtual geometry will be displayed so that you can see your mesh symmetrically.

Retopo-Menu.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, ScrotieFlapWack said:

I am really struggling with these shapes. The sphere shape isn't completely spherical because I've cut off part of it to make a portion of it flat.

quPWY7f.png

I'm drawing my strokes and choosing the number of segments, I'm changing my brush (in the E panel) to a circle and then dragging out strokes that way for close to accurate strokes with my chosen number of segments but then when I start drawing intersecting lines none of the actual segment points "stick" or "weld" together, I am then hitting Enter and 3D - Coat is just crashing on me, I think it might be because I have drawn too many strokes, I just don't know how to start this haha. I've been trying for a few hours but not really getting anywhere, I want accurate and clean topology and this is why I am using strokes with the circle stroke because points and faces seems a little messy, unless there are methods to cleaning that up?

Thanks! 

If you will PM me and provide a link to your file, I'll record a video showing how one might handle Retopo on an object like this. Might help others get up to speed in the Retopo room

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I just ran a test on sphere with part being cutoff. Plus I added a center relief... Giving AbnRanger the original file if possible to do the same would help others as he said... I did do some manual adjusting of the polygons around the relief after autopo ran.

I held down the control key as I made my strokes, This gives you manual control of placing the strokes control points. I did not put any strokes over the relief as I knew I could fine tune that area and add any more polygons needed. Only two stroke lines were needed, less is better... You could test having more but generally lest is better running autopo...

Edit: I added a separate ring using the same principles... Autopo with some manual adjustments. I by far am not the most experienced retopoing person but following certain principles is what is important. The rest can be learned through experienced.  Autopo is fine but having lest complexly is good and adding the rest by hand or adjusting is a good principle.  

Model shown not for quality but to demonstrate.

fine.JPG

strokes.JPG

ring.JPG

Edited by digman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...