3DCoat Forums

what about assigning uv's inversely? Im thinking about painting a terrain

ozukaru

• Advanced Member

when you make a terrain you cannot use the same type of workflow that when making a normal static mesh, because the terrain will be much much larger so even if you use a 4096*4096 texture that will be blurry (the surface I mean) when your player is placed on it. You need to tile a texture but how to do that in 3d-coat? 

the only way to do this I think it would do like they do in unreal engine when painting landscape, it seems they asign uv when you stroke the paint brush over vertices, how can you do that in 3d-coat? is it even possible? 

Edited by ozukaru

• Contributor

You're talking about splat maps. You paint a surface with vertex colours or directly over a UV map and use those colours to lay out specific textures (each colour means a specific, repeated texture). This is usually done in target engine, but you can also paint splat maps in 3D-Coat as plain colours (for export as FBX later on). You won't see the exact result though, but you could approximate it (a preview of sorts) in 3D Coat by painting each colour on a separate paint layer and then filling that layer with Smart Material of your choice. Smart Materials are tileable (though there's no numeric input for the number of repetitions last time I checked).

Filling of each layer can be accomplished by right clicking the material and choosing "Refill Layer". This will replace all non-transparent pixels with the material.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, ajz3d said:

You're talking about splat maps. You paint a surface with vfasdtex colours or directly over a UV map and use those colours to lay out specific textures (each colour means a specific, repeated texture). This is usually done in target asdengine, but you can also paint splat maps in 3D-Coat as plain colours (for export as FBX later on). You won't see the exact result though, but you could approximate it (a preview fdaof sorts) in 3D Coat by painting each colour on a separate paint layer and then filling that layer with Smart Material of your choice. Smart Materials are tileable (though there's no numeric input for the number of repetitions last time I checked).

Filling of each layer can be accomplished by right clicking the material and choosing "Refill Layer". This will replace all non-transparent pixels with the material.

Edited by ozukaru
sorry I quoted and cannot put my own text below the quote neither delete it