3DCoat Forums

How to Choose the best 3D Software for You

http://jordanpelovitz.com/?p=609

Opening Image

One of the most common questions I hear is “what software should I use”?  The answer to this depends on three factors;

1) What do you want to make, and why?

2) What software do you have access to?

3) What software do you have access to that you are most comfortable with using?

The best way to choose a 3D software package is to start with an idea of what you want to make (chair, person, spaceship), and for what purpose (video games, 3d printing, mass production).

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

When it comes to 3D software, I have the attention span of a squirrel... It's so tough to stick with Max or Maya, AD's lack of vision is disappointing, <- and the price. I have not upgraded my perpetual licenses since they went rental only as there are better options (for me) out there. 

These days I tend to gravitate around Houdini Indie, Blender and Modo Indie.

ZBrush and 3DCoat for sculpting.

3DCoat and Substance for texturing.

• Advanced Member

I use Modo for illustrations and Cinema 4D for Motion. I would like to stay with only one, though. Can't afford buy and update  two or three apps, learning all of them, master all of them...

Maybe I will try learn Blender and stay with it.

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/5/2017 at 9:53 PM, dimitribastos said:

I use Modo for illustrations and Cinema 4D for Motion. I would like to stay with only one, though. Can't afford buy and update  two or three apps, learning all of them, master all of them...

Maybe I will try learn Blender and stay with it.

Yeah, I wasted some coin on Modo, myself, and made the mistake of dismissing Blender for a long time. Not because of a lack of features, but just the stigma often associated with OpenSource software, and the perception that it's not for professionals. That would be false, because at least a few other "professional" applications don't have the breadth of features, size of community (including development community), nor aggressive development that Blender has.

If it were commercial software, it would be considered a very serious competitor in the market. Houdini and Blender both impress me. That's why I finally decided to make Blender my main 3D app and use Houdini Indie for any VFX content. I saw a Houdini to Blender exporter that works really well and Cycles handles the volumetrics like a champ.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks, @AbnRanger

I really like the way Modo modelling tools Works. It feels natural. The sculpt brushes used on polygonal modeling feels pretty much like sculpting in 3D-Coat. Cinema 4D does have some polygonal brush capabilities but far, far, behind Modo's. For me it's essential in order to tweak a character or simply adjusting some poses.

Does Blender have something like that? I mean, sculpt brushes on polygon level?

Some people are trying to sell me into Blender but I'm afraid of the learning curve. Also, do you think Blender can create Motion Graphics?

• Reputable Contributor
5 minutes ago, dimitribastos said:

Thanks, @AbnRanger

I really like the way Modo modelling tools Works. It feels natural. The sculpt brushes used on polygonal modeling feels pretty much like sculpting in 3D-Coat. Cinema 4D does have some polygonal brush capabilities but far, far, behind Modo's. For me it's essential in order to tweak a character or simply adjusting some poses.

Does Blender have something like that? I mean, sculpt brushes on polygon level?

Some people are trying to sell me into Blender but I'm afraid of the learning curve. Also, do you think Blender can create Motion Graphics?

Yes, Blender has some fairly good sculpting tools (but neither Modo nor Blender's sculpting tools match 3D Coat's or ZBrush's). For Modeling, you should check out Blender's BoolTools, which gives you simple MeshFusion like interactive Boolean operations. Then there are the inexpensive addons like HardOps, BoxCutter and DecalMachine...they are just incredible. No need to spend $400-$600 for yearly maintenance to see updates. As for Motion Graphics, one of the tools that comes to mind is Animation Nodes:

• Advanced Member
58 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Yes, Blender has some fairly good sculpting tools (but neither Modo nor Blender's sculpting tools match 3D Coat's or ZBrush's). For Modeling, you should check out Blender's BoolTools, which gives you simple MeshFusion like interactive Boolean operations. Then there are the inexpensive addons like HardOps, BoxCutter and DecalMachine...they are just incredible. No need to spend $400-$600 for yearly maintenance to see updates. As for Motion Graphics, one of the tools that comes to mind is Animation Nodes:

Thanks, man. Awesome stuff. I will try it some time. In the next few months need to stay on my pipeline in order to do more work... so no time to learn new software.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Modo and Blender for modeling.  Depends on the type of sculpting i will use Blender for some things and 3d coat for more serious stuff.  I prefer blender for retoplogy but will use the uv tools in 3d coat way more than any other program. 

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I use 3d Max Studio and auto desk to use software for make 3d design and some new to create different types to modeling to new to new design for corporate building related awesome design to tools and program installed to some attributes are used it.

Source :- http://3d-rendering-services.uk/3d-walkthrough-animation-studio/

Infinity Pool.jpg