3DCoat Forums

3DC & render man

Mr.Panka

Hi !

I have a few questions about renderman. But first, a BIG THANKS TO THE DEV TEAM. you're awesome !

the SSS in the shaders are vastly different between 3DC & Renderman, is there a way to change that ?

Or Is there a way to use renderman IPR in the render room to see what I'm doing with the shaders ?

Is there a shadow catchers ?

I have a few bugs, but I'll post that in the beta threat. It works better and it's more stable that I thought it'd be, it's a good surprise.

• Reputable Contributor

Carrots on this forum, is the one developing it. He will have to chime in, but from what I know thus far, the interactive mode for Renderman doesn't work in 3D Coat...yet. I'm not sure if that is something he is working on or if it's not possible, because it can send dense meshes to the render, and translates the shader info from the Voxel objects to vertext paint maps. I asked him previously about adding a shadow catcher, and he said it was on the to do list.

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/4/2017 at 6:45 AM, Mr.Panka said:

Oh yep, I assume it's really hard to do.

I don't understand when I should use "render" and when I should use "render preview". Is the final image different ?

The RENDER is for final renders, and it has Denoising applied, and he mentioned something about render passes only with the RENDER option. It's definitely a WIP. I think they just wanted to let users try it thus far and to report any bugs they might encounter. Some have already been reported, so that will probably come in one of the next builds

• Advanced Member

After doing some back and forth with settings, preview, render start and stop, 3dcoat exe seems to be hanging on to memory.... climbs and climbs...

Got to tie some purging onto the cancels and various starts and stops....

AbnRanger : thanks for the explanation. I understand now.

I'd like a way to do my final render in the render preview window, with denoiser and everything. it's much more confortable for me and it stay open if 3Dc crash.

I'd also like an option to render in the BG while I can continue working in 3Dc. 

If it's too much for the IPR, would it be possible to work in the IPR in the render room with a reduced poly count mesh ? (like when I want to export). I saw this in another software, I can't remember which one.

I hope Carrots will see this thread.

Edited by Mr.Panka