3DCoat Forums

Paint Room Questions: Camera Locking and underside-lighting

Hello everyone. I have been using 3D coat for texture and depth painting to export back into ZBrush. It mostly works great. I love being able to paint directly on an object, as opposed to the unwrapped texture. But there are two things I cannot figure out how to do, or if they can be done at all. I've google and searched the forums but was unable to find answers.

1. Is there a way to lock the camera? When I'm painting, especially if I have a thinner piece to work on, I frequently accidentally rotate the camera as a result of starting the click off of the model. This is especially problematic when I want to make a single stroke across the entire visible surface, even more so if the edges curve a bit. It's can be very frustrating.

2. Since there is no vertical lighting adjustment, I often cannot see the underside of the object I am painting very well. I tried some different environment backgrounds but the problem persists. Is there any way to get some lighting on the underside of my model while I paint?

Edited by DanielWaterhorse
Error correction.

• Reputable Contributor

This is a good default hdr to use for more even lighting. Shown in picture.

First under the camera menu: Background---Lock Environment.

Blur the Hdr to 3 to 4 Blur is in the top menu of the GUI

Position the Hdr till the darker areas fills the viewport. top menu again

Picture shows position of Hdr and the underside of a model with enough light for painting.

The 2 key also will give flat lighting as if you were in Photoshop painting on a 2D image. 5 key returns you to smooth shade.

Under the View menu: Choose Greyscale Panorama if you want no HDR colors to effect the scene but only the light from the HDR.

Image.jpg

under.JPG

• Like 1