3DCoat Forums

After sculpting?

Donwill

Hi all! I have been using 3d coat for a while but only for texturing lowpoly models importet from maya. But now i took one step further and started to sculpt the UV-mapped lowpolymesh. And also texturing it with what i guess is not real pixel texture rather something else PTEX?? Anyhow what do i do now, how do i bake my sculpting and my texture to my already existing UV-mapped lowpoly model. 

• Reputable Contributor

A picture of the 3DC room you are working in would help as your current information is not detailed enough...

There are 5 ways to sculpt in 3DC.

Sculpt Room... Voxel mode and Surface mode. Neither of these recognize Uv sets, except to load in surface mode and converting the textures to vertex color but you generally lose some texture quality.

Paint Room.:

Per Pixel --- You can paint depth here which is converted to normal map data on the fly. Uv set is maintained. No baking required.

Mico-Vertex --- True depth painting. The underlying polygons are displaced. Uv set is maintained. No baking required.

Ptex --- True depth painting--- The underlying polygons are displaced. No Uv set, model is exported in a ptex format. No baking required.

Tweak Room- model polygons can be displaced here and they are applied to the current model in the paint room which ever the mode you choose, Per Pixel, Mico-vertex or Ptex.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Ok Thanks! I kinda figured it out myself, what i did was to go to retopo room and imported my maya made model as the the retopo mesh, then i just baked the normals. dident work that great though. So im cleaning upp the normalmap in paint room now, by turning the normal layer to standard blend and just paint.

Another issue i have is that i would like to have both the "bar" and "image" shown at the same time in the color palette. Is that possible?

• Reputable Contributor

Again some pictures would help. please post one before answering about "bar" and "image" in the color palette. 

About your first post, it appears that you were Vertex painting which does not require a uv set. Another word for it is "Polypaint". Vertex painting is limited to a surface mode model . 

The quality of the color information is based on the number of vertices in your mesh as it is vertex based and not pixel based plus there is no depth painting as in the other modes.

When you imported your Maya model as the retopo model to the retopo room and then baked to the paint room the vertex colors were baked to whatever texture resolution you had set. 

Your normal map having artifacts, again you shown no settings for baking. How you laid out your uv seams, texture resolution or your bake scan settings. 

Instead of shooting in the dark as I've been doing more detail information is needed.