3DCoat Forums

When to subdivide? C4D > 3D coat > C4D

justincrowell

Hi all,

I'm really new to 3D coat.  I've been creating relatively low-poly object in Cinema4d then importing them into 3Dcoat to UVMap and texture them.

My question: If I want to subdivide my low-poly structure, do I need to do that before I bring it into 3D coat?  It seems like it causes some problems when I bring the object back into C4D and subdivide there, after having UVmapped and textured in 3D coat. 

Thanks!

-Justin

• Advanced Member

It is better to texture on a subdivided mesh using a subdivision that 3DC creates on the painting process. Later, you export a low poly version of this mesh (the original) and use the Subdivision Surface object on C4D. There, there is a option to subdivide UVs in case of troubles.

Thanks again, Dimitri.  Really appreciate your help.

This sounds like a really smart approach.  I think I'm just not quite sure how to do any of that.  I've watched so many hours of tutorials, but this is a specific workflow I just can't seem to get down.  Do you know of any resources that might help?

Thanks!