3DCoat Forums

painting with photo tutorial

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

Hey! trying to find a tutorial on 3d coat which explain how to paint with photo textures. like in this video: 

I believe they are called stencils? 

i only found this: 

• Contributor

I have struggled with this issue as well. There was an ancient video that illustrated this operation but I didn't find it on my last search.  I use PS to fit a photo to an object's UV map.2017-06-07_1257.thumb.png.a1b7ce17d8cdc8781215f51cfd627e4f.png

A tedious operation using the "Puppet Warp" tool in PS.

• Advanced Member

ok, i figured it out. just drag the jpg into smart materials, then use on screen widgets and paint. 

my issue now is i don't get how to get out of it. I want to paint on layers above with just normal brushes and colors, but it won't let me. everything is always white. cant change color? Any tips?

UGCdJeB.gif

• Advanced Member

also cant get materials to blend into each other, when painting. the falloff doesnt help, just get this wierd ridge. 

v15ebnL.gif

Is there any way to switch back to the old painting approach? before smart materials? that made a lot more sense in my head. I just need to paint color and bump maps mostly.. 

Edited by Aleksey

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Aleksey said:

also cant get materials to blend into each other, when painting. the falloff doesnt help, just get this wierd ridge. 

v15ebnL.gif

Is there any way to switch back to the old painting approach? before smart materials? that made a lot more sense in my head. I just need to paint color and bump maps mostly.. 

Smart Materials still work the same way the old MATERIALS pallet did. It just added a lot more functionality to it.

Also, it looks like your DEPTH parameter is way too high, in that gif. That's probably why it doesn't appear to blender together very well. You can also adjust depth after the fact with the Magnification-Reduction brush:

• Reputable Contributor

To add to AbnRanger's good advice:

Unless you lock the depth which prevents the below. Lock Icon by depth Icon. If you use locking of the depth, you made use ADD as well under the depth Icon...

---------------------------------------------------------

Also check out the new settings under the drop down menu of the depth icon. Shown in picture. To get depth to blend together set it to Max. You have to keep your brush radius the same, explained below.

Depth is still related to your brush radiuis unless locked.  A 100% depth at a certain brush radius is laid down.  Now make that brush radius smaller and a 100% depth is not as much. Make the radius larger and you increase the depth laid down. See above in the first statement to avoid this.

Of course this means you have to keep a track of brush radius used.. :dash2:  Not always easy...

I create my own Smart Material Stencil folder under Smart Materials. 

Set each Smart Material to "From Camera" in the smart material editor. 

Depending upon the need set it for no gloss and no metallic either. Set depth to "0". That way your image is just a image for color. 

You can set the depth manually in the top tool menu if needed.

Of course you can create a more advance stencil if you so desire.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

ok, depth modulator in the "brush settings" was the culprit, weird discrepency there. other depth was set to zero, but was still getting depth. anyway.. so thats fixed!

But the color problem persists. so i made a video: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3bwmkvhpxxjh49q/3dcoat cant paint.mp4

• Reputable Contributor

From watching the video, it appears you have your color turned off in the small Palette panel (upper left tool bar). I see the "X" symbol there. When color is turned off only white is painted. I think the reason it does that is that way no color from your image will be affected by the color in the palette. Once you had to adjust the color to white in the palette for it not to affect the color laid down by your image stencil. Now you can disable the palette while you paint using a stencil and your color is not altered by any color in the palette.

Right click on the green to turn the color back on... 

Hope this helps.

Edit: By the way thanks for making videos, which you do often when you have a problem...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1