3DCoat Forums

Retopo Room - Commit Extrusion Problem

lewis2e

Hi

I have a problem at the moment in the retopo room using the transform tool whereby every time I commit the extrusion (by either pressing enter or clicking the button) it will go haywire and stretch my mesh out left and right off into infinity...

Anyone know what I am talking about? And how to correct it? It basically means I cannot use the transform tool, which is seriously hampering my retopo efforts.

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor

While Carlosan is testing your file.

Not sure what is happening. You might test this, delete a few rows of Polygons. Then extrude further down on the extension. and see if the weird vertices location goes away. You can then go back and add the extra edge loops using the Split edges tool. I know when transform is used that auto snapping is turned off by default so that can not be the problem. Why you get the strange snapping I do not know.

You also can try to increase the voxel or surface mode polygons. I know if there is not enough resolution of material in some areas of the model at times 3DC will do what I see here but that is generally when auto snapping is enabled and not when you use the transform tool.

Are you committing the transform then using the snap command right after that? I do not think you are but it is a question to ask just in case.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

It shouldn't happen like that, because that function temporarily disables snapping. When I get really weird behavior like that, I save a new version > close app > re-open and see if it continues. My guess is that there might be something wrong with the mesh. When you UNDO after extruding like that, if you don't UNDO far enough, you might be left with overlapping vertices or extra edges. I talked with Andrew about this when he developed the functionality, as it was one of my pet feature requests. He said that when you create the extra geo and don't UNDO a step before that you will be left with that extra geometry, and it's not the application's fault. It's on the user to go back the necessary number of steps BEFORE you created the extra edges or poly's.

Not saying that is definitely the cause, but it could be the culprit.

Hi @digman and @AbnRanger

Thank you both for trying to help me with this problem. I really appreciate it.

In the end, I went ahead and completed the re-topology without using the Transform or Free Extrude tools (both of which exhibited the above behavior). It was a bit of a pain, but possible with some creative use of other tools :D

I think I tried the majority of the things that you suggested. I saved multiple new versions of the file (as is my standard practice).  I experimented to see if I could isolate the cause moving and removing geometry, creating new Retopo layers etc. I went as far as creating a brand new vox layer and hiding everything else, but I was still experiencing this problem in the Retopo room whenever the other vox layers were visible...! To clarify, I was not separately using the snapping tool.

I thought it might have been an incorrect setting on something I was using, but I am starting to think it might just be a corrupt file (my second corrupt file in 3D Coat, not sure what I am doing wrong!).

I don't mind uploading the file if you want to have a play with it, but as I say I've worked around the issue so there is no longer a pressing need for an answer (just curiosity).

Many thanks

Edited by lewis2e