3DCoat Forums

ZBrush 4R8

• Reputable Contributor

Not trying to toot Pixologic's horn for them, but dang. I hope the Paint Room work is done soon and more focus is given to the Sculpting and modeling tools. We already had/have some of this capability (FFD lattices, standard transform Gizmo, booleans, import mesh on brush is much like the Vector Displacement brush), but they improved the features. The Vector displacement brush seems to be able to draw out from the surface with a stamp draw mode. We don't have that.

Interactive booleans will be a tough one. However, the guy who created the MeshFusion-like boolean plugin for Houdini, lives near Pilgway's office, in Kiev Ukraine. So, hopefully Andrew could contract him to help create similar functionality in the Retopo room, to expand the polymodeling toolset? It's definitely fierce competition, but they don't have to spend a lot of their efforts competing with Substance Painter. 3D Coat is Pixologic's only competition. Whereas Andrew has to compete with them and Allegorithmic, and maybe to some degree, Mari.

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Houdini is full bore into OpenVDB

3D Coat is full bore into OpenVDB

Imagine if Houdini bought 3D Coat and brought in Andrew as a lead developer at Houdini. This would be a magnificent synthesis for both parties.

3D Coat into OpenVDB? How so? I asked Carrots about that support, so the Renderman plugin could make use of volumes like that. He said maybe, but nothing concrete. It still needs to be able to access the interactive mode of Renderman, plus add a shadow/reflection catching material. If he adds those things, and if Andrew finishes the Paint Room features + implements the GPU brush engine Carrots had worked on, those could get some momentum going back into 3D Coat's direction.

The Renderman plugin works pretty well now, but with full interactivity, and OpenVDB support, that could be huge.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

3D Coat into OpenVDB? How so? I asked Carrots about that support, so the Renderman plugin could make use of volumes like that. He said maybe, but nothing concrete. It still needs to be able to access the interactive mode of Renderman, plus add a shadow/reflection catching material. If he adds those things, and if Andrew finishes the Paint Room features + implements the GPU brush engine Carrots had worked on, those could get some momentum going back into 3D Coat's direction.

The Renderman plugin works pretty well now, but with full interactivity, and OpenVDB support, that could be huge.

well what is this about then?

ngFojOol.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

Feels like 3DC will never catch up at this rate. Zbrush really needs a competitor.

They definitely created some distance on the modeling front, but then again, if you look at a lot of the new features, many of them are adding what 3D Coat has already had for a long time. They just improved their implementation. Such as the Gizmos and deformers. 3D Coat has had the FFD lattice for some time. In fact, that was my request years ago. But it seems they added some specific deformers that 3D Coat doesn't quite have, such as the bend deformer. You can do much of that with the Pose tool, but the ZB implementation seems easier to use and control.

The interactive booleans is definitely a step up, but let's face it, that feature is already available in multiple apps. Blender, Modo and now Houdini (with the Flux 2 plugin). It's nice to have that available so one doesn't have to step out into those apps to do that kind of work, though. I look forward to getting up to speed with all the new features, but let's keep it in perspective. The only competition ZBrush has is 3D Coat. But 3D Coat has both ZBrush, Substance Painter and Quixel. All 3 companies are owned by larger companies than 3D Coat.

It's still amazing that one can use 3D Coat to do the work all of those apps do, with a very high level of competency. That's its major appeal. High end tools in each category.  

10 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

It still needs to be able to access the interactive mode of Renderman, plus add a shadow/reflection catching material. If he adds those things, and if Andrew finishes the Paint Room features + implements the GPU brush engine Carrots had worked on, those could get some momentum going back into 3D Coat's direction.

Well I know what I'll ask for Christmas this year now ^_^, this would be really nice.