3DCoat Forums

Modeling a car in 3DCoat

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I am an avid car enthusiast, especially antique, vintage and classic cars & trucks, as well as muscle cars of the 1960s, hot rods, rat rods and kustomized cars. In 1983 I restored a 1960 Corvette which I still own and take for pleasure drives & to car shows/cruise-ins.

Just curious if anyone has modeled a car or truck (and not other vehicles like space ships, boats, airplanes).

I've used Silo3D, Hexagon3D and Groboto3D to model various cars and hot rods.

In similar threads at 3D Coat I've been told 3D Coat is really not suited to car modeling.

However I've noticed some people have created some pretty amazing cars in ZBrush.

This tutorial seems pretty simple in ZBrush

However this ZBrush tutorial on a classic 1960's Ford Mustang GT500 is more along the lines of the cars I would love to model in 3D.

When I get some downtime, I'll have to try something along these lines...

• Advanced Member

Inspired by a 1950's era Ford panel truck, Modeled in Hexagon3D...

p82008904-4.jpg

A sportscar/hot rod of the future in Groboto3D

p72847755-4.jpg

p248024451-4.jpg

The V8 engine used in both the 1950's panel truck and hot rod (Hexagon3D) and inspired by a 1950's flathead Ford engine.

p648445589-4.jpg

p615034657-4.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

IMHO since in the real world car designers often sculpt cars in clay then why not 3DCoat or ZBrush?

• Reputable Contributor
14 minutes ago, kenmo said:

IMHO since in the real world car designers often sculpt cars in clay then why not 3DCoat or ZBrush?

You could apply those techniques in the first video, in 3D Coat, if you prefer. Just seems it's a good bit easier to handle all the different nuanced shapes in a polymodeling app. In that video, notice how he takes it into Modo halfway into the project, where he retopo's the model (by hand, which you seem to hate and think is redundant), and cleans up the lines. Having said that, you can do the same right inside 3D Coat, and you actually have a pretty decent set of polymodeling tools in the Retopo room, including Primitives, FreeForm Primitives. So, you could do some of it in the Retopo Room and others in the Sculpt room. I just wish Andrew would add a Soft (gradient) Selection tool and some kind of a bridge tool.

If he had those two, you could do a lot of polymodeling all in 3D Coat. I asked Andrew if he could add clean booleans in the Retopo Room, and he said he would ask his developer (who worked on bringing Primitives into the Retopo Workspace) to try to implement booleans there, too. So, stay tuned for that.

You could block out your model very quickly in 3D Coat, perhaps using the Sketch tool:

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't think retopo is redundant for everyone. Only for my hobbyist needs...:-)

Thanks kindly for the reply... Appreciate it...

• Reputable Contributor
13 minutes ago, kenmo said:

I don't think retopo is redundant for everyone. Only for my hobbyist needs...:-)

Thanks kindly for the reply... Appreciate it...

Understood, but you referenced the ZBrush speedsculpt video, and it was manually retopoed. I knew that was a no-go for you, based on our past discussions on the topic. The good thing about it is, you could block it out with the Sketch tool, try to retopo that shape (which Auto-Retopo should easily do), and then either proceed to poly model much of the rest, in the Retopo room, or switch over to the Sculpt room > Geometry Menu > Retopo Mesh to Sculpt Mesh > Choose the Pose Tool for further modeling edits....including Freeform Deformation lattices > Enable "Conform Retopo Mesh" before making any edits, so that it deforms the Polymodel/Retopo mesh in the same process.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Sounds like good advice. I must attempt this... Cheers & many thanks...

• Like 1