3DCoat Forums

Slow and laggy UI and sculpting

mathef

Hello fellow sculpters :)

I am trying demo of 3D Coat and its interface is very slow and laggy. I can't sculpt and even browsing menus is very unresponsive. Problem occures in DX and also OpenGL version. My computer specs: Intel i7 2600K, 16GB ram, nVidia 980 GTX, Windows 7.

Thanks for any help and have a nice day.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, just for the sake of knowing for sure... Generally your system is good for a majority of sculpting.

Did you install the 64 bit version of 3DC.

Is 3DC laggy in all rooms. Example--- loading the default Robot for Per Pixel painting into the paint room. 

What is your voxel or surface mode count, Tells at the bottom of the UI in Tris count. You did not state and has a great effect on sculpting brush speed.

Rule of thumb is create your major forms at a lower voxel / surface mode count moving up as you add finer and finer details. Brush size gets smaller and smaller so the sculpting speed stays fluid.

Voxels mode is cpu intensitive and surface mode is less.

Updated Drivers?

tris.JPG

Edited by digman

12 hours ago, digman said:

Ok, just for the sake of knowing for sure... Generally your system is good for a majority of sculpting.

Did you install the 64 bit version of 3DC.

Is 3DC laggy in all rooms. Example--- loading the default Robot for Per Pixel painting into the paint room. 

What is your voxel or surface mode count, Tells at the bottom of the UI in Tris count. You did not state and has a great effect on sculpting brush speed.

Rule of thumb is create your major forms at a lower voxel / surface mode count moving up as you add finer and finer details. Brush size gets smaller and smaller so the sculpting speed stays fluid.

Voxels mode is cpu intensitive and surface mode is less.

Updated Drivers?

tris.JPG

Thank you for your time Digman :)

The problem will occur in both versions of 3DC - 32bit and 64 bit. Lags are present in every part of the program even without any model. I am attaching a gif where the problem is visible at new document menu. As you can see the rollover effect of menu items has big latency when a mouse cursor is rolling over them. When I am trying to navigate in the viewport in a scene with a basic sphere, the problem is even more evident. 

I have nvidia drivers updated - 384.76.

cc62b2948d2d03b1f257c2901148baec.gif

• Reputable Contributor

I hope the newest beta fixes the problem as that is a very rare lag you are having. Very few reports of that extreme lag that I remember posted at the forums. I also have Windows 7, 8 core Amd cpu and 16 gig of ram plus a 770 gtx with 4 gig of vram. I do not suffer the same problems that you are having so it might be something in your system configuration that is causing the problem.

I would suggest to send an e-mail to 3DC support explaining your problem and add the gif animation too. 

• Reputable Contributor

Seeing that the issue is somewhat "INPUT" related, and you said you already update your graphic card driver, I would suggest installing the latest Wacom drivers. I had a similar situation not long ago and it turned out to be the wacom tablet drivers. At least one other person has had the same kind of issue and to their surprise, updating their tablet driver did the trick.

Thank you guys,

I really appreciate your help :) Unfortunately any of suggested solutions didn't help. I tried the latest beta build without any improvement. Updating my tablet driver (Huion, I don't have Wacom tablet) didn't help also. I will try to uninstall Huion drivers completely and another drivers for mouse etc. as it looks like input related. Or maybe is my system broken in some way. I will try to investigate further.

• 7 months later...

I experienced this issue last year as well. After some investigating, I uninstalled some out of date Space Navigator drivers (3DxWare), and everything burst back to life!
So, I suspect that for anyone else suffering from this extreme lag, it is most likely some old input device drivers that are getting in the way.

Hope this helps.

Peter Spence
Putty Studios

• Like 1