3DCoat Forums

Oculus Rift on Sale $399

• Reputable Contributor

If you are interested in VR, the Rift plus the Touch controllers are on sale for $399. You also get 2 senors plus a game pad and a remote.

Oculus had reduced the price to 499 for both when I got them but now a 100 dollars savings for a limited time. 

This is not a comparison between the Rift and the Vive just letting everyone know there is a sale on.

I got the Rift not for gaming but to explore a new art form. 

Medium... Digital sculpting--- Free when you buy the combo package which is the sale.

Google Block--- Simple polygon modeling--- Free. This was just released and is very basic but I see a future for more advanced options. I would not mind paying for a more advanced version.

Quill--- a form of 2D painting but the strokes are really polygon based. Works a lot like the 2D paint brush in 3DC but with a lot more options. Can export the work.

Tilt Brush. Same as above.  

All the above work with the Touch controllers. 

Since the work can be exported, 3DC can be use to further advance the creations.

Both Unity and Unreal support VR. In Unreal you can build your game in VR if you so desire. Unity, you can download a special version for this.  You do not need to create in VR, it is an option but you can view your work in VR at anytime. There is nothing quite like putting your own models in a game engine and walking around them in the same environment. The other day I was walking through a cave I made, not looking at it on a 2D monitor.

What I like about VR. The sense of being in the same environment as you work on your own models in the above programs, the new art form I spoke of.

Your field of view is 110 degrees just to let you know. Now some find this a little limiting but as this is new tech, I do not mind as in the future this should improve.  Atm you are connected by a Hdmi cord to your computer, this true for Vive as well. The next generations will be wireless at some point. They are working to solve the latency issues with having to send a ton of data through a wireless connections.

I am limiting my topic to just the above, you can check out all the other stuff for Rift VR at your discretion.

https://www.oculus.com/rift/ 

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I tried it, a friend came over to my house with a backpack and in 5 minutes you are ready to sculpt. It works very well but what is driving me mad is, it's impossible to import objects in Medium ( well only small things they call brushes or so ) .  That would be the ultimate experience for an artist, to paint and sculpt on your ( photogrammetry ) scans in VR.

So I asked Andrew to help the people at Medium because they don't know how to convert meshes to voxels.

Nor Andrew nor Medium seems to respond. The hardware is there, I will wait for the software to mature because having to build all from scratch is too basic to spend 4 or 500 euro on.

Edited by spacepainter
spelling