3DCoat Forums

uv mapping cylinder

glmr

Hello.

I'm trying to unwrap cylindric body and I already used different ways, but every time I have distorted texture. Please, tell me what is wrong? How is possible to unwrap cylindric body to plain planar rectangle island with two circle islands?Untitled.thumb.jpg.6635d4002c9240b5aa05d910e5f10d6b.jpg

3dCoat says that not all islands are absolutely planar, but I tried in another software and got correct mapping. so, they are planar enough. 3d coat is able to make planar for top and bottom parts, but that long one always looks strange

Edited by glmr

You have a lot of seams on lateral surface. the problem is that I need lateral surface in one piece, with one seam. I can realise such UV in another software, but not with 3d Coat. Try to open my model with "keep UV" and you see.

Yes i open it and UV look correct.

3DC don't have traditional projection method as another software (from cube, sphere or cylinder mapping)

What software you used and how you performed the operation, I would be interested to know the process you used. Thx

Does it mean that it is not possible to make correct unwrapping with 3D Coat? But I've seen it is possible - here Screenshot.jpg

from here 

I used Silo2 for unwrapping, but it would be netter to use one software for all steps.

Edited by glmr

• Contributor

If printing the model on a 3D printer isn't your intention, I suggest to retopologize it into a simpler geometry before unwrapping. Unwrapping algorithms (ABF++, LSCM and GU) sometimes might become lost when dealing with triangles and n-gons. Especially if the geo is very dense.

Of course, the lack of cylindrical and polar UV projection in 3D Coat is another matter.

Edited by ajz3d