3DCoat Forums
glmr

uv mapping cylinder

Hello.

I'm trying to unwrap cylindric body and I already used different ways, but every time I have distorted texture. Please, tell me what is wrong? How is possible to unwrap cylindric body to plain planar rectangle island with two circle islands?Untitled.thumb.jpg.6635d4002c9240b5aa05d910e5f10d6b.jpg

With selected island use to planar command to switch the projection type.

ToPlanar.jpg

3dCoat says that not all islands are absolutely planar, but I tried in another software and got correct mapping. so, they are planar enough. 3d coat is able to make planar for top and bottom parts, but that long one always looks strange

Edited by glmr

Can you share the model please, I cant see where you marked edge seams. Thx.

here it is, unwrapped in Silo2. but if you unwrap this model in 3dCoat with planar for every island - you have a distortion as I posted before.

So, if you know how to make the same unwrapping as I made in Silo2 - I would be happy. making seams in Silo is terrible.

pill silo UV unwrapped.obj

Hi

Mesh polycount is too large for Retopo Room. 105.396 triangles.

I used automap to get better UV projection.

MeshPolycount.jpg

Automap.jpg

You have a lot of seams on lateral surface. the problem is that I need lateral surface in one piece, with one seam. I can realise such UV in another software, but not with 3d Coat. Try to open my model with "keep UV" and you see.

Yes i open it and UV look correct.

3DC don't have traditional projection method as another software (from cube, sphere or cylinder mapping)

What software you used and how you performed the operation, I would be interested to know the process you used. Thx

Does it mean that it is not possible to make correct unwrapping with 3D Coat? But I've seen it is possible - here Screenshot.jpg

from here 

I used Silo2 for unwrapping, but it would be netter to use one software for all steps.

Edited by glmr

Yes its possible with retopo meshes of lower density as usual.

Your imported mesh is not an usual retopo mesh, is a high poly mesh with 105.396 triangles.

MeshPolycount.jpg

If printing the model on a 3D printer isn't your intention, I suggest to retopologize it into a simpler geometry before unwrapping. Unwrapping algorithms (ABF++, LSCM and GU) sometimes might become lost when dealing with triangles and n-gons. Especially if the geo is very dense.

Of course, the lack of cylindrical and polar UV projection in 3D Coat is another matter.

Edited by ajz3d

sounds strange because I used LSCM algorythm for unwrapping. so, looks like 3D Coat has a possibility to unwrap correctly, but can't due the lack of projections