3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Turntable Render Image Settings

stusutcliffe

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

Thanks ,Yeah I think i wrote jpg in my first post, when I meant TGA, Doh. ( formats swimming around in my head...)

As I said in the second picture ,like what you just said ,I can get a jpg but my render was awful ,full of artifacts...so I turned on save lossless and it renders Bmp, which are great, but the files are quite a big size. I usually use png, they seem to be a bit more manageable sizewise .  ( 3 mb as compared to 500kb )

When I scroll thru a turntable in Windows picture viewer, it takes a while to load up each picture.( if my client as a steam powered pc, its not gonna look good waiting for stuff to load. ....)

All I want to do is render png images in turntable mode. But its not the end of the world If i cant.

In the Render Turntable tab, if you click on render alpha channel, it says  it will render TGA automatically, but it does not, it renders BMP, AND no Alpha Channel. Must be a bug.

The crux of the problem seems to be that In Render Turntable mode you get a choice of 2 formats whilst in normal render you have a choice of 4 formats .

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

4.7.36 beta but should work in other versions.

You do not need to use the render turnable under the help menu.

You are forgetting to set " Render Frame Sequence" in the Render settings panel. I saw it was unchecked in your picture.

Once you have everthing setup just click on "Render" and the sequence files will be saved.

Be sure to select  Store Alpha Channel and your images will be automatically saved as TGA files with the alpha channel.  Also select save lossless images just to be safe.

Custom size is for positioning of the area to be rendered if you choose to use custom size. The yellow box will appear once you start to adjusting the size of the box.

Side Note: I was just choosing 200 rays per frame to render as I was testing, the default 1000 is fine. Of course choose the amount you need.

360 frames will give you a compete turntable circle.

Esc does work. 

I created the folder "man" in the settings panel and it automatically saves the tga files under the My Documents / 3D-CoatV47 / RenderImages / man, at least for Windows 7. Shown in picture.

3DC anti-aliasing is so so when rendering a turnable but since it is a moving model should be ok but you will have to be the final judge of that.

Rendering.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by digman
added information
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Great ..thanks for effort!. Its appreciated.

I dont need 360 just 12 stills.

I guess the option to render a sequence of PNG images does not exist , for whatever reason, must be a techie thing . Targas only seem to render with alpha channel, if you switch off Alpha it renders BMP.  I find an alpha channel render has fuzzy edges.  If It can render single PNG why not a sequence ?

I could do with it rendering to a playable  movie also ( without going thru other software.), but those tabs in the help only let you upload stuff to youtube and the like. 

I think I am just expecting it to do suff I want, but just is not there. Its fine though, I can work around.

Thanks for looking!:)

• Reputable Contributor

It would be great to have the png format added, even just with no alpha to replace the very old hardly even used BMP format. Then no conversion would be needed. Useful for when just rendering a few frames of a turntable.

Targa is fine for the alpha channel as you would load the targa in a external video editor to put a background in anyway if rendering a complete turnable. Of course Png could also include with or without a alpha channel which would be best. Then we could have a selection of png with or without the alpha channel plus still have the targa format which some prefer to use when rendering alpha channels.

I did post at the beta thread about adding the png format, +1 if you want...

I never use the rendering a turnable under the help menu. I prefer to render and do all my editing in an external video editor but that is an artist call.

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Turntable Render Image Settings