3DCoat Forums

Need help with skin

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Trying to familiarize myself as much as possible with the painting tools. 

As mentioned in the "Introduce Yourself" thread I am working in the small cottage industry of Poser/DAZ Studio.  My beta testers found a few seams in my skin I made partially from resources and my works in Photoshop so looking for a way to blend out the seams on the maps as well as other bits. 

I tried my hand as making a material using some merchant skin resources and while I like them they are way to dark for my needs and I assumed I could lighten them up using the Material Editor but I had no such luck making that happen so not sure what to there besides doing all the lightening up in Photoshop and saving them back out.  Also wondering about the fall off of the brushes and if I can control those a bit more as I want to really feather out the edges allot so I can retain allot of the detail I have already but blend it out with the overlay of the new material. 

When I imported the "Tina" obj I opted for the breaking it all up into various bits so I think I made a mistake doing that so I'll probably have to reimport her and keep it simple (head, limbs, legs) so I don't have to keep switching around. 

Also, is there a way to import and entire folder of materials rather than just one at a time?  I'm sure there must be a way but .....

Thanks for the help, hopefully!  :blink:

Richard

• Reputable Contributor

Michael Bitsakis has a LARGE, LARGE library of low cost (as in $3-$10 per pack) Smart Materials that will probably suit your needs. He's the "Go-To" guy/resource for various Smart Materials. Whatever you are looking for, chances are he has them. 

https://gumroad.com/michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Thanks.  I'll for sure get these but still need help understanding how to adjust what I have as the skin from this other merchant has all the tiles for various parts of the body like eyelids, ears and other delicate skin areas of the body so it would be nice to know how to adjust these within 3DL to get them lightened or darkened up, change the hue a bit and saturation where needed.  Any help with that? 

Thanks for the link! 

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Richard A. said:

Thanks.  I'll for sure get these but still need help understanding how to adjust what I have as the skin from this other merchant has all the tiles for various parts of the body like eyelids, ears and other delicate skin areas of the body so it would be nice to know how to adjust these within 3DL to get them lightened or darkened up, change the hue a bit and saturation where needed.  Any help with that? 

Thanks for the link! 

You can make adjustments to the current layer or all layers.

• Advanced Member

Oh goodie, I love video tutorials. :D

OH and I got both of the skin packs.  UH, there are ALLOT of files and folders I have NO IDEA where to install any of this and the person that made these didn't include a readme with instructions!  :blink:

See the image screenshot.  Ignore the "!Installed and Substance Painter" folders one has the ZIPS inside and the other is for Substance Painter, which I have too but I'd rather concentrate on 3DCoat.  There is one for Quixel too, which I have as well but can't figure out which folder those files are in!  :rolleyes:

Unzipped Folders for 3DCoat.png

• Advanced Member

OK, learned something from the video tutorial, thanks very much but my question would be to be able to just go and blur out specific areas, like is there a blur or smooth texture brush?  I've got a few areas that I didn't see in DAZ Studio when rendering but see clearly in 3DC around the ears where the textures are not blended nicely and wanted to blur/blend those out a little bit into the face and ears areas but then I need to know how to use the materials brush to put back in needed detail that will be lost.  I looked over some of the other tutorials but they are pretty old so the tools are showing up as different and didn't find on on a blur or smoothing brush....

• Reputable Contributor

To install .3dcpack files, just go to the FILE Menu > INSTALL EXTENSION. That will install all the folders where they need to go.

Yes, there are brushes for smoothing, but the paint brush with the SHIFT key held down will Smooth under the brush. Just make sure you are on the right layer when you use it.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Replied , pasting here as well

---> 

Hey Richard , 

i apologise for the late reply , i am receiving a huge amount of emails for requests , help , support etc etc.
Trying to answer everything as fast as possible.

3D Coat folders :
Pack brush it has the brushes , just install File --->  Install  Extension 
same with shaders and smart materials , just install.

3D Coat scene , shows my settings for skin , just open them File ---> Open 
no need to place them in any folder.

Export for Instant Light is the 3d coat scene optimised for the Instant Light PBR Renderer

Full textures as you already said for creating materials in other softwares

Quixel suite and substance painter just place them in their folder in each software.