3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Is there a way to store brush alphas on a different drive ?

Adions

I have some huge problems with the default Document folder (C:\Users\XXX\Documents\3D-CoatV47). I added some Alpha Textures and the folder is about to explode. The Texture Folder alone is about 50GB! 3d Coat is converting the textures in his own format, as I recognised. But a Alpha texture is about 130 MB. Are you serious? The original PSD file is about 8 MB.

Is there a way to store brush alphas on a different drive to have a better time managing the Texture Folder.

Thx.

On both Linux and Windows you can easily create a symbolic link to refer to another location, I hope this little trick will help you ;)

See more here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

4 hours ago, Adions said:

I have some huge problems with the default Document folder (C:\Users\XXX\Documents\3D-CoatV47). I added some Alpha Textures and the folder is about to explode. The Texture Folder alone is about 50GB! 3d Coat is converting the textures in his own format, as I recognised. But a Alpha texture is about 130 MB. Are you serious? The original PSD file is about 8 MB.

Is there a way to store brush alphas on a different drive to have a better time managing the Texture Folder.

Thx.

Hi,

I recently talked with Andrew about this and he gave me the best solution ever! You  only need to change the path.

Doing this is a life-saver!

Here the full Details: http://3dcoat.com/files/floating.pdf

Separating changed data from installed files to share data between users

Other possibility (optional, just for convenience) is to separate 3D-Coat’s installed files and files that was changed during the work so that you may place 3D-Coat installation files to protected or read-only location. Install 3D-Coat to any location (even protected or user- dependent). After that you should create file coat_data_path.txt in the same folder as executables or define environment variable COAT_FILES_PATH that will point to the location of changed data files. Path should be ended with slash “/” . License file should be placed in the same folder as all data files. In this case all changed files wil be written to new location but if installation location is read only you will not be able to delete any folders or files (like initial brushes, materials, strips, models) of initial installation inside 3D-Coat’s shell.  If you will not create file coat_data_path.txt and will not define variable COAT_FILES_PATH then 3D-Coat will use 3D-CoatV4 folder in User’s folder under any OS.

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 10:03 PM, Adions said:

Hi Speike-Styles. Thx for the tip. How does the content of the coat_data_path.txt look like?

COAT_FILES_PATH E:\Dokumente\3dCoat\3D-CoatV47/

Something like this?

Sry for the late reply. Just came back from a trip :)

It is pretty simple. Just install 3DC "lets say \C\Program\3DCoat\ and before starting 3DC create the "coat_data_path.txt" and put it inside the main folder where 3DC is installed. Then open the "txt" and write in the path/folder where you want to have all the 3DC Packs presets etc to be like this exp:" D:\3DCoat\"   This will create a auto exchange path from User/doc to the new folder. Clean and simple

Hope you understand how it works now :)

BTW anyone else reading this. This is the cleanest way to keep your presets if you want to Wipe your PC. BCuz 3DC will install normally all it's data Presets under the user/Documents folder and by doing it the way written above you are saving your presets on a different drive. Thus keeping it 4evr Safe:D

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Is there a way to store brush alphas on a different drive ?
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...