3DCoat Forums

Import FBX with vertex colors

pencilking2002

Hi there! I've done some vertex painting on a model in Blender and I'd like to import my model for further vertex painting in 3D Coat. I haven't been able to find any resources on how to do this. All tutorials I've seen talk about a voxel room, which doesn't seem to exist anymore? When I open up 3D coat, there is an intro panel that has the option to "Import for vertex painting". I've tried this but the mesh imports and I cannot see any vertex colors.

Painting with the brush seems to work though.

Any clue why this is happening or how ot fix it?

Hi

Vertex colors are supported as fbx import.

File > Import > Import for Sculpt/Vertex Painting/Reference

Import model for vertex painting. If model has texture it will be converted to vertex color. Also tit is good method to import huge reference objects.

• Contributor

It works out of the box.

Select Surface Sculpting, then in Sculpt Room choose Import and pick your FBX file. In import settings turn on Import without voxelization as otherwise vertex colours will be lost.

One more thing. If you need to subdivide your vertex-coloured object, do it in your DCC application before importing it to 3D Coat. The reason behind this is that if you subdivide the object using the subdivide button in the Import tool, vertex attributes won't get interpolated but simply dropped. I should probably report this as a bug.

EDIT: Subdivision with Subdivide tool after importing the object does interpolate its vertex attributes, so that is another option.

screenshot_17-09-06_15_32_06.jpg.cc03c8f69687fbbd91414fc11595fe23.jpg

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1