3DCoat Forums

Bake Creates Bizarre Seam

ss3D

Struggled to find any information online with folks who have had a similar baking issue.  

I get a seam where the normal map appears to have zero information.  Look closely at the UV and you can see a green brush stroke.  Except I didn't brush that on and this was the result of the bake. 

1. I've attempted three different UV unwraps,  didn't change anything.
  2. I messed around with the cages, didn't change anything.
  3. I screwed with it's orientation.  Nothing.  
  4. Checked the model for errors - nothing.

I get the same seam regardless of what I've tried on multiple attempts at baking. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

bakeissues1.png

Used Maya's cleanup.  There are no lamina faces. There is no overlap that I am aware of.  I specifically targeted this particular trouble spot from the image (there are more) and pushed the vertex around, didn't reveal anything.  Something, as near as I can tell,  is going horribly wrong during the bake.  I have zero clues as to why.  It's not the UV unwrap either.  I've tried three different unwraps and the outcome is the same.  I get the seam in the exact same locations.  

Thank you so much for your time and effort! 

Unfortunately, this does not appear to resolve the issue.  I still get the hair lines after the bake.  I quadrupled the size of the model just to be sure.  I located and fixed the additional vertex.  

Did you actually run a bake to test the results?  Mine came out the exact same even after making the fixes.  

Edited by ss3D

2 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Yes, please look at the end of the post above.

My test project link was added.

3DC v4.7.37

To clarify: I tried baking the file you attached, as well as my own version after cleaning up the HP models. Both displayed the same normal map artifacts from my original post. 

The artifacts always appear on the front right and left side of the hair model, and the tip of the bangs model. The angle of your screenshot does not display these areas.

Ok, so I fixed the problem, but the solution feels...  wrong.  Baking normals with dithering turned on didn't appear to affect the result for me.  Here is what worked.  On the 'Import Object for Per Pixel Painting panel, I had everything checked off but 'Don't Snap Sub' and turned on the 'Auto Smoothing Groups'.  I set the Max Angle to 70.  This created an anti aliasing issue along the more acute/obtuse angles of the model.  To fix that, I went into preferences and changed Realtime padding mode to 'Naive padding' and boom, it's given me the best result thus far. 

Thanks again for your time.  

Edited by ss3D
  • Like 1