3DCoat Forums

3D mouse reversed axis not working right

MonolithTyriss

Hi guys.  I have a 3d mouse that I'm using with 3D coat.  So far things are great, except for the directions of movement.  If I go into the 3D mouse's own menu, and toggle 'reverse' for an axis (in this case vertical pan and zoom), it doesn't take.  As soon as I go back to 3D coat, the setting's reverted.  But, within 3D coat itself, I can't figure out how to reverse those particular axis!  I tried setting a negative value for vertical pan and zoom speed, but instead of inverting the axis, it caused both to move at very odd 45-degree angles in unexpected directions.  So.. what do I actually enter negative to flip those movement axis around?  I'm just used to programs like Blender for 3D mouse movement, where those axis are inverted by default.  So, 3D mouse controls the camera, not the object you're looking at.  But 3D coat seems set to do the opposite, and it's very jarring to me. :(

• Reputable Contributor

Did you try saving a config specifically for 3D Coat using the options menu in your 3Dconnexion properties window (you may also want to turn on Automatically Save Configurations). These are the settings I'm currently using for my 3D mouse.

3DMouseSettings.thumb.jpg.b8766d7196bac828036b7fea082c6d85.jpg

It's been a while since I had to set my 3D mouse up but I do vaguely remember struggling with lost settings and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with setting up & saving custom configs for each app.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where in the world did you get that menu from??  The only 'properties' window that I get is like this: http://prntscr.com/grsk0h

The one you show up there doesn't exist.  And if I go into advanced in that menu I just linked to, I can see a 'reverse' check for each axis.  But when I check that and hit close, the setting for reverse is instantly cleared!  I'd guess 3D coat is over-riding the settings, but within 3D coat there is no setting to reverse any movement axis!  Is there perhaps a piece of software for the 3D mouse that I missed installing?

1 hour ago, MonolithTyriss said:

Where in the world did you get that menu from??  The only 'properties' window that I get is like this: http://prntscr.com/grsk0h

The one you show up there doesn't exist.  And if I go into advanced in that menu I just linked to, I can see a 'reverse' check for each axis.  But when I check that and hit close, the setting for reverse is instantly cleared!  I'd guess 3D coat is over-riding the settings, but within 3D coat there is no setting to reverse any movement axis!  Is there perhaps a piece of software for the 3D mouse that I missed installing?

Actually I know like 99% of my problem.  It's not the 3D Connexion software.  It's my PC.  Something has caused the permissions settings to get screwed over badly.  the C:\Program Files folder and all it's subfolders are read-only for ALL programs I run, even though my account is set as an administrator.  Worse, even if I choose to 'run as administrator' the program is STILL blocked from writing to that folder, which includes where the 3D Connexion applications save their settings.  So, the problem is very simply that, the settings application for my 3D mouse is unable to store settings.  And thus, since the default is to not reverse the axis, I can't change that.  I used Blender long enough, which writes it's own driver with the axis of movement reversed for -some- of the axis, that I can't adjust to 3D Coat with no reversal, which ends up being an actual full reverse of Blender.  So.. until I somehow figure out how to allow writing to files in the program files folder, that's it.  I can't use 3D coat, and thus I'm blocked from all the creative outlet that I care to use.  Good %!&#-ing job, Microsoft!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 10/1/2017 at 4:41 AM, MonolithTyriss said:

I'm still using an older version of the driver.  I did upgrade to their latest driver at one point and had several issues with it, and it seemed to be limited by comparison while adding very little additional functionality so after reading a lot of very disgruntled comments on their forums from users complaining about their new drivers I decided to keep using the one I had previously (Release Version 3.17.7).  There doesn't seem to be a link to it in the 3D Connexion Legacy Driver archives, the closest available version would be 3.18.0 which you can find on their archive page.